Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
FL
City
Sarasota
My mother's name is Joy, and she certainly lived up to her name sake.

It is with great sadness to share my mother has passed this morning peacefully at 6am (ET) from her battle with ALS (bulbar).

My mother was an amazing woman. She became a school teacher and taught at Douglas MacArthur High School in Michigan before moving abroad to Japan and teaching there for several years. She then traveled the world, dragging me as a child. We traveled through Russia, China, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. She eventually moved to Florida to continue teaching, both high school and college.

She was an English Teacher, Theatre (Director), and Speech/Debate. Her love of theater and dancing took up every waking hour. As recently as November last year she was still dancing.

Problems started to progress in December, when she was still walking and talking. By January, she was in a wheelchair and by February could no longer speak. Our diagnosis came on March 15th, which was devastating and after a short cry - my mother put the diagnosis behind her and wanted to laugh, smile, and be with family and friends.

Once news spread about my mother’s illness a flood of cards, emails, and letters poured in. I read each one to her. Students from as early as the 1970s from as far as Japan and Europe, wrote letters of gratitude - of how a crazy lady who would stand on her desk and quote Shakespeare made such an impact on them. One student came to be by my mother’s side daily until the end. She told me my mother was her inspiration and she became an English teacher because of her. Even my mother’s speech therapist - started coming to Hospice daily to sit with her. I was amazed how quickly my mother could affect people - with just a laugh and a smile.

When we moved to skilled nursing, one of her aids was a past student. In the last few days we moved to Tidewell Hospice House - where one of the staff was also once her student.

Today, when I took her to the funeral home - all three daughters of the funeral home director/owner, who now run the company, where her students and were sadden to have her, but said they would take the best care of her as she touched their lives too.

It is amazing how many people a teacher touches and how many lives are changed. I had no idea of the volume of students my mother has help shaped their lives. Each letter and card reads so personal and emotional - that they bring a tear to my eye.

I am fortunate to have such an amazing mother, who has touched so many people.

Oh I am so sorry for you loss. She went so fast. But, it is such a blessing that she went peacefully and her suffering wasn't prolonged any longer. I enjoyed reading about her and all who she inspired in her life and her teaching. Sending you a huge hug, Kim

I am very sorry for your loss wishing you peace and comfort

My mother, as Michigan State grad, was also a huge NCAA basket ball fan.

Every year she would fill her bracket and watch. This year - we helped her fill out her bracket, as it was hard for her to write.

The TV has been on non-stop as she watches the games. Last night - we watched our last game together - Michigan State won!

It was the best game EVER!

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like your mother was a remarkable woman. Peace and strength to you and your family.

Very sorry for your loss. Sending peace and comfort.

Sincere condolences for your loss

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! Her zest for life shone through. (As a fellow MSU grad and retired Michigan teacher, would love to know such accolades were coming in!).
Sure MSU's win was in her honor! Rejoice in her freedom from this monster and I'm sending tears of sadness for your loss. Sounds like she got an A+ ias an AMAZING lady! Hugs. Donna

The joy of learning is one of the most profound and durable. It sounds like your mom provided that for many students, not to mention your family. I am sorry for your loss, but clearly she lives on all over the world. Perhaps it is best that she didn't have to live too long with that diagnosis. Peace and strength to you all.

so sorry--she was a wonderful person and will live on in the hearts of those she touched.

Prohobo, may you find comfort and strength from the many warm words shared by so many about your mother.
Sending you love and prayers, Janelle x

>My mother, as Michigan State grad

Sandy, too -- class of '72

as a umich grad she has been insufferable thes past few years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back