Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
:cry:

Hello everyone,

I am writing due to things that I am noticing but dad does not seem to notice and actually is just getting frustrated with me and my questions. I have noticed that during the past couple of weeks dad has been in a really bad mood. Very down, distent, negative, and just wanting to argue with anyone and everyone. However, now over the course of the last few days he has sounded very tired to me. I believe he is getting up to uriate in the middle of the night and this is probably all related to stress but I am not sure what to do... He played a game of golf with his friends yeseterday and he hit the long strokes fine. However his puts were yuck so he says... I guess my question is does having ALS make you tired at times is this common?

: :(

Hi there,
Short answer is yes! ALS indeed makes you tired. Some muscles have to work harder to make up for those affected. This can lead to a great deal of fatigue. As well, if your Dad is getting up in middle of the night, then that interrupted sleep pattern adds to it. All activities will require extra physical effort leading to fatigue.

If he’s having a rough time with it, maybe look into a B-12 supplement. I take it and find it helps.

He may feel a little depressed as he begins to realize that he can’t do everything he once could. I was the same way at first. Very distant, grumpy as hell and negative.
He is probably going through the stages of grief:
denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.
These are perfectly normal. I would say to just be a sounding board, as he manipulates his way through the stages, don’t take any ‘off-colour comments’ personally and recognize where he’s at.

As for the putting… well, I was never a great golfer so maybe someone else can help you out there! :D

Cheers!

Thanks for the response Mike.... I am not taking anything personal trust me I have no more engery to waste on that. Dad does take B-12 but perhaps he needs more....

Take care and we will talk again soon.

Perhaps a glass of wine or two? Might relax him and put him in a better mood. Just a thought. It worked for Henry. And, as Mike said, do not take anything he says to heart. He is not angry with you, he is angry at als. I know, I know, I have said this before, but you are his lifeline, and he knows that. He knows that you will be there for him, you will love him unconditionally, you will be there when he cannot do for himself anymore, you will always just simply love him. And yes, it is okay to be frustrated and pissed off with him, that is so normal, not many people have to deal with this level of adversity in their lifetimes. Take time for yourself to regroup, and focus on the positive, and yes there will be lots of positives and lots of laughs. You will live with this als and you will all be okay. You have to believe me. Emotions run all over the place with a devasting illness, and sometimes it is so hard to see the light of day. A good argument never hurt anyone, as long as you are the winner. It cleanses the soul, and restores the fighting spirit. He knows that you are there for him, and that is what is most important. Take care, Stay Strong....

Love, Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back