Diagnosis
07/1998
Country
US
State
California
City
Benicia
What a huge gift I have received. I am no longer burdened with the countless commitments and responsibilities of a normal existence in today’s fast paced world. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a lazy person, and I don’t take the tireless efforts of my incredible wife Jen for granted. It is just that I choose to focus on the positive aspects of my predicament rather than the negative. I have more passion for life than I have ever had. The experience is difficult to describe. It is like the scene in “The wizard of Oz” when the picture changes from black and white to Technicolor. I am free to direct my mind in any direction at any moment. I can paint, write, actively listen to music, listen to audio books about any subject that currently interests me, or contemplate the vastness and complexity of our universe. The landscape in my mind is larger and more diverse than the physical world I used to be confined to. I hope it does not appear from the outside that I am losing my sanity. The opposite is true. Every day I have a more complete understanding of what the human spirit is capable of. I feel very lucky.

Such comforting words. I learned of my mother's ALS diagnosis a few weeks ago and am just beginning to understand what it means for my family. I am encouraged by your fresh perspective. Today is the first day I've surfed ALS-related sites - after a warning that there is a lot of difficult information to absorb - and I'm so glad to find your post. Thank you.

Welcome to the group, and thanks for your positive feedback. I am often hesitant to post my "bright, shiny" feelings because I know many people are really struggling with just surviving day to day. I only want to help reduce their suffering. The only way I know to do that is to share the ideas that help me. I am glad my post helped you. If you would like more, visit my website.

Thanks,

Mike

This is a wonderful post. Love your positive attitude! :) Hope you have been able to maintain it, All the best Laura

I appreciate the unscheduled ability to really be present and available for people. Even when I was a paraplegic, I was hiking and travelling and working. Now that I'm a quad, I am home most of the time. When people need someone to talk to or sit with, I can be that guy to call or visit.

I guess it's possible to be totally introspective and interested in the world after you can no longer move. But you have to have a lot of support. I don't have a devoted spouse. My two kids are in the midst of their careers and have growing families. I don't have anyone with me 24 hours a day, so I can't have a vent or feeding tube even if I wanted them. I'm constantly inventing new ways to get in my chair, bathroom and onto my stairlift. If I don't concentrate on every move, I could easily fall. There's no one here to pick me up. You are lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back