Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ny
City
P
First off, thankyou everyone for your patience in answering so many of these types of questions. I'm a 37 year old male with a four month old, and recent events have me concerned about ALS. Last Thursday, I lifted a box at work and noticed weakness in my right arm. Testing in the gym it seemed my right arm and back were at half strength ( I can curl a 30 lb dumbbell now). I went to a chiropractor who believed at first it was a muscle issue. He took X-rays of my neck and it shows an injury to the c4 and c5 disks, which he believes is causing the sudden arm weakness. It hasn't gotten any better or any worse, but now I have near constant mini muscle spasms in my face, shoulder and arm. No real twitching, just small spasms. I also wake up at times at night feeling like I'm choking. My grip strength feels ok, and no problems with my legs. Have an appt with a neuro in a week. Just feeling a little scared and was wondering what you guys think. Thx for any answers.

I should add that the arm weakness is mostly limited to pulling movements, no pushing/pressing. Thx again.

Hopefully when you see a neuro you will get some idea, it could be so many things other than a terminal illness. Go with an open mind.

There have been numerous threads started by young people with “twitching” symptoms, burning muscle sensation, cramps and so many of them mention where they “work out”, “lift weights” or run so many miles a day. I wonder if it’s improper diet proportionally to the intensity and frequency of these strenuous “work outs” and etc. And… the new fads of energy drinks and Starbucks Coffee. Many have expressed that fear of ALS has them nearly over the top, maybe they have the same fear of having one pound of noticeable fat on their tummy. Anywhooo.. so many ask questions here and we have no idea about their diet, do they drink too many energy drinks, Starbucks Coffee (which will give you the ability to thread a sewing machine while it’s running) and maybe… it’s just plain stress. The things it takes time for your doctor to figure out.

Thx Clearwater and Affected. I guess my going to sleep one night and waking up with the loss of strength in my arm has me confused. I just want to say that for you guys to be dealing with this, and in addition to that helping people with their questions is pretty amazing. Thx again I guess I'll see what the neuro doc says next week. The facial spasms are freaking me out a bit and I'm not sure if a disk injury to the neck can cause that.

I guess my going to sleep one night and waking up with the loss of strength in my arm has me confused.

Based on that statement alone I would think you are in the clear. Not to be flippant, but don't sleep on that arm again. Seriously. What you should have read from all the posts and stickies is that ALS doesn't just spring up one morning as a tree fully grown. It drips like a leaky faucet for most of us and it is one little thing at a time.

Thank you all. Your all stronger than I'll ever be and I appreciate the answers. Take care and God bless!

Amen to Media. And to all DIHALS-ers, remember the differential diagnosis of ALS calls for the elimination of HUNDREDS of other illnesses, injuries, infections, deficiencies, cancers, etc. People on this forum have been waiting years for a diagnosis. The chance that any non-doctor can--from one or two symptoms--go to google and come up with a (correct) diagnosis is virtually impossible.
Most of our neuros couldn't be sure even after multiple NCSs and EMGs. So, go see your neuro--it may be a disk problem--but let him do his job and don't get all anxious about the worst thing it could be. It doesn't sound like ALS. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back