Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy,

I can't believe how strong you and so many others are that you dealt with caregiving full time for years and years. I've only had the badge since end of July 2007 and I'm a mess. Wow. I can't even fathom where I would be in years to come if I did that. You have my complete admiration and awe.

Is that job something you really want? Maybe there is more to it than just not wanting to take control of your own life.

I am so sorry that you are depressed. If you weren't halfway across the country, I'd meet you for coffee or something! Santa Barbara sounds nice...right now, I'm in the middle of a snow storm... and just like the energizer bunny...it just keeps snowing and snowing and snowing! It is pretty though!

Thank you for your support!
Mary Jo

Why are you killing yourself over this? He is your brother, even given the circumstances, and he is a person in need to you and in society, but that doesn't make you the sacrificial lamb here! Even if you happen to be getting paid for your efforts. First of all, one person to take care of all the needs of an ALS patient is nowhere near enough. Second, you have children and your brother has other siblings who, even if they don't have any interest in helping your brother, need to support your decision to help your brother. Walking into a house day in and day out with an ALS person is freakin' hard enough, but to not have any support? That's cruel. And on top of it to deal with ridiculous circumstances with your brother and have your kids and siblings say the things they are with no intention of understanding? Forget that.

I am a co-primary caregiver for my father whose limb onset began about 2 years ago. I have one other person who lives with us and has just as much if not more work than I do. Plus, I have 2 siblings who don't live here and a couple of cousins who also help. The people who don't walk into this house daily don't fully understand the demands but they have no choice but to help. And it's still not enough. No where near! I am relatively young and have so much life to lead but I have virtually no social life and encounter the same feelings that you do...I never want to travel or do any of the things I used too. I go through huge rage regularly and I don't have nearly as good of a reason as you do to want to shut the door.

I am so, so sick right now with a pneumonia type flu but does that mean I can tell my dad that I can't feed him today or go to the bathroom? No way. But who is taking care of me? Yet I have to take care of him and deal with his demands - he is constantly uncomfortable in his body and needs something every second we are around. He has no ability to give us anything yet takes at the highest degree. It's a bad equation for any relationship.

I am always plagued with where to draw the boundaries, but, you know what, there are no boundaries that can be drawn. If they call you at 1, 3, and 5 am to turn them or shift a pillow or pull their legs up - what can I say? Sorry, shop is closed after 11pm? It doesn't work. So where is the middle ground for someone like me or someone like you? You can only demand support from every person you know and TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Whatever that might mean to you.

You have a couple options. First to see a therapist to sort out your feelings. Your feelings of guilt and obligation are extreme for someone you don't know and must stem from somewhere. I think whatever you are going to feel, it has to come from a truthful place. Second, to get EVERY single family member involved. You need to be the care manager so to speak and delegate everything out. Doctor's appointments, medication refills, costs, meal prep, and time for relief. Go away for a weekend every few weeks and leave someone else there to deal with stuff. You have too - it's not an option, otherwise you will get sick and you will look back on the time you spent and regret that you didn't utilize options. Third, talk to some people about nursing home care. For a person you truly care about, they say it's the worst thing that could happen...but you can't do it all and DO NOT NEED TOO.

I had to put in my .02 here too. Good luck.

Hey Lisa- I was backed up on reading the posts so I know this is an older conversation but I just had to respond. You idea of being the "care manager" is one of the smartest tips I've read yet! thanks for sharing.

Lisa,

Thanks for your input. I have finally been getting some relief with my brother because the VA has finally paid his full amount (almost anyways) and he can afford to pay others to come in. I finally get to sleep and for the much of the day, I have some time to myself.

It makes me wonder though about the needs of all of the ALS caregivers. Due to my brother "being in charge" of himself, I have not approached the ALS clinic. So I am wondering if they help a caretaker if the patient doesn't want help. Does anyone know what type of help the ALS clinics provide for the caregivers?

Within 8 weeks, there will be some major changes in our living arrangements. Either I will be selling my house and we all have to move, or my brother will lease this place and I move elsewhere (which was my plan anyways prior to my brother showing up...(moving)) or my brother is moving elsewhere. I look forward to that day! In the meantime, my brother has pneumonia and who knows what will happen.

Mary Jo

update

Lisa,

Some of my "out of state" siblings came to visit and got all the paperwork such as will, POA's, DNR order, Living Will, and got my money back from my brother. They put a contract together that spelled out that I was not "the sacrificial lamb"! It was a whirlwind week but it relieved me of so much. There are no more arguments between my brother and I due to my sis close by who is business POA and takes care of paying bills and grocery shopping and is my fill in when I go back to work, if someone doesn't show up as scheduled. Although I haven't sold my house yet, and Mickey is still here, I barely have to be his caretaker anymore. I'm a patient person and know that things take time to change so, I will see what happens with regards to living arrangements. Things are going in a positive direction, so I won't complain at all!

What a difference...I have a clearer head. I have been to counselling only 2 x because I forgot my one appointment and didn't reschedule for a couple weeks. She was very happy to see the positive changes in me.

I no longer feel any guilt and in fact feel real good that I did the best I could. And I believe there was a reason I went through this and hope that I follow through with some advocating that I plan on doing.

I hope that you are doing ok. I really do look at all of you on here as heroes.

God Bless,
Mary Jo

I'm so happy and relieved for you Mary Jo. God Bless you!

Donna-WV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back