Not open for further replies.
Country
CA
State
Nova Scotia
City
Berwick
Good day, This is my first post.
I am fortunate in many things - two of which are: I do not suffer with a serious illness (I know that my weakness for chocolate chip cookies doesn't count) & an incorrigible sense of humour, and secondly, the privilege of having worked as a HOSPICE trained palliative care volunteer, and most recently having worked with two ALS diagnosed gentlemen and their families.
Recognizing what I believe to be an area where I can perhaps offer help, I am both beginning a new relationship with the ALS society here in Nova Scotia (16 months here from British Columbia), and am undertaking a ‘personal quest’ to hopefully develop a volunteer program focusing on ‘one to one/on-going’ communication with ALS individuals and their families. In my quest I hope to draw from similar programs which I know exist, and of couse any input you might offer would be invaluable.
My experience has shown me that many diagnosed with ALS receive resources as required, through ALS & related agencies, together with family and friends who are there at a moment’s notice to help.
But sometimes, having a new friend, as soon after a diagnosis as possible, who is knowledgeable about ALS and available to answer general questions as they arise, (we don’t answer medical questions), explain the ALS challenges to family & friends so they have a better understanding, and just ‘be there’ at moments when some ‘venting’ would help, away from caregivers who are often overwhelmed in many ways, is my goal. Initially volunteers may meet with you for coffee once a month, talk on the telephone, or whatever is comfortable for everyone, and then more frequently as needed.
In asking for your feedback about this, the only thing I would ask you to keep in mind is that I’m not trying to impose anything on anyone and trust none of this will seem insensitive - it’s simply finding a way to offer helpful answers ‘THROUGH ONE PERSON’ at times when most needed, together with regular visits to either talk, play cribbage or whatever (for me I love playing cribbage :) ), help complete a project, spend time so that caregivers may have some time away, or share things that are important during some difficult times - this is what we do as volunteers.
Individuals like myself are interviewed extensively, have a police check done before even our training begins, and the only payment we receive is a smile, hug, or hand shake.
Thank you so much for letting me come into ‘your’ space for a few moments and if you would like to communicate privately, you’re welcome to do so to [email protected] .
Again I repeat, I am doing this of my own accord and will present my proposal to local agencies - in the meantime I will continue to volunteer when asked. I also congratulate the ALS Society of Canada for the amazing manual they offer to families affected by ALS.

And finally, thank you to Chuck & Rod for allowing me to come into you and your families' lives, and teaching me about living life to the fullest each and every day !
A credo for everyone !

Hi Wayne. Welcome and thanks in advance for any help you provide. Here in Dufferin County in Ont. the local Hospice has a mentoring program that they run that sounds just like what you are describing. I've had one for a little over 2 years. Instead of Tuesdays with Morrie it's Fridays with AL.

AL.

Hi Wayne. Sounds like a fantastic thing you are proposing, I wish you success! Why did you leave BC?

I'm 61, semi retired, had 30 of the best years that BC (White Rock) had to offer, plus the chaos, confusion & congestion of rampant uncontrolled growth was NOT the way I wanted to spend the rest of my life.
Nova Scotia is a place unlike any other - if you leave home and forget to lock the doors, not to worry !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back