Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
US
State
OR
City
EUGENE
Was diagnosed with ALS last month. Before diagnosis was seen by cardiologist, pulmonary clinic, PCP, all who missed the disease in spite , as I review my med records, symptoms were presenting as long as a year ago when I saw my Physician about my inability to pick up and hold documents. Important as I worked as a legal assistant. Last Friday, I fell in an office restroom and had to ask a colleague to help me stand up. I advised my fellow staff, friends, I was recently diagnosed with ALS, so on Nov 22, 2019 I retired. Made it to age 81.

I recently discovered this web site/forum which should provide insight into the disease and how it affects others. For me I’ve lived a long life sharing a contentment and peace with my wife for over 30 years. There’s a time and place for everything, so I have no regrets; time to go. Unless I’m mistaken much reading about ALS indicates an inevitable process to death. I want no medical heroics. Am having difficulty breathing so if its respiratory failure, That’s OK.

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, Oregon. I'm glad you have a strong spouse to back you up.

ALS is a fatal disease, true, but nature doesn't always follow the pace or manner you might prefer. Even if your goals are only short-term, you might ask about a BiPAP to help you breathe, as much for comfort as for extending life.

Best,
Laurie

Hello, I'm sorry about your diagnosis & fall. I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago too. The people in this forum have been so welcoming & supportive, they have helped thru rough first days. They understand all that PALS, CALS, & family are & will be going thru. Everyone has great and different experiences to share.
We're all here for you...
Hoping you & your wife have an relaxing Thanksgiving.
Nancy

Being a newbie to this forum I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

I am sorry you had to join us but welcome. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions. We will do our best to support your goals.

n9949y,

I'm very sorry you have to be here. And, I'm sorry you had to leave your work -- I know that transition is difficult enough without also dealing with a life changer like ALS. I'm fairly recently diagnosed, and have found a trove of information and helpful advice here.

I have to say I'm going to put you on a pedestal. :) I had hoped to work to at least 70 because I love being in a productive working environment (but only made it to 65 because of my ALS symptoms) -- and here you are still working and enjoying it until 81! Secondly, I admire your attitude about life in general -- being thankful for the life you've had, loving your family and friends, and knowing what's really important to you as time marches on. I aspire to have such a positive attitude. Finally, from your avatar and member name, it looks like you're a pilot. I got my license when I was 17, but stopped flying in college because I couldn't afford it. I never went back to it, which is one of my few regrets in life.

Please have a good Thanksgiving holiday.
Fusia

Hello fellow Oregonian. Sorry to have to welcome you here but welcome. There is much wisdom to be gained from reading these threads and very supportive folks here. So dig in...

Hi Oregon,
We're here for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back