Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AZ
Good Afternoon and I am very thankful I have found this forum.

I am a 76 year old female who up until 5 weeks ago was very active and healthy. I used to play pickleball 3-5 times a week and spent alot of time gardening with no issues with moving. I just won a pickelball tournament a few months ago so I am in really good shape

All that changed 5 weeks ago when all of a sudden I lost a lot of strength in certain parts of my body such as....
-Major weakness in legs (really hard for me to get in and out of chair
-Major weakness in hand and wrist (I can barely start a car with ignition) (hard for me to grip a paddle)
-The other day I was gardening and got on my knees. I did not have the strength to get up so I had to crawl across the lawn 50 yards to get back inside the house
-Cramping in legs
- Major fatigue

Again....it was almost like overnight by body changed

I have been to a number of doctors and they have said my bloodwork seems fine etc. I have started to press the issue and will be getting an MRI with the week. If I am not satisfied I will go to the MAYO clinic for more answers but I am looking at the sympoms and ALS

The doctor did eliminate MS, MG, and Gullian Bar.

So ALS has me concerned and the doctor says after the MRI we should know more but I cannot help but be worried especially with my quick loss of strengh in my body in a very short period of time.

Any feedback would be helpful

I hope you get answers soon. It sounds terrible and frightening.
ALS classically starts in one area ( with limb onset usually one hand or foot) and spreads in that limb then moves to a second and so on. This rapid onset in at least three limbs would be highly atypical.
if you have not yet had an mri how was MS eliminated? Mg doesn’t always show in blood tests. How was Gb ruled out?

It seems like there are a number of more likely causes but you need mris ,an ncs/ emg and an lp probably to get answers

Thanks for the questions :) I have had 2 blood tests so far and am going in for a 3rd soon and I have been tested for limes disease and so far my blood work has come back looking totally normal.

My Dr. also stated that it does not appear to be a stroke because its on both sides and not on one side.

I have had a Brain MRI so far and let me clarify....My doctor says in her mind she does not think its MS, MG or GB. I guess its not totally ruled out but highley unlikely in her opinion. Again...if I dont get better answers I will be going to the MAYO clinic to get better answers

In about 10 days I get a Spinal MRI and that is where we can get some more info.

I do have a 3rd blood test tomorrow and a EMG that will take place after the spinal MRI.

I did have a weakness in my thumb and index finger is bad. My handwriting has gotten better over the last 7 days so that is somewhat better. My cramps are coming after exercise when I go into the pool and most cramping is in the calves of legs and at times the back of upper thigh...a few in my feet.

My fatigue has me somewhat worried as I am more tired than ever. Headaches were also really bad for a while and I never get them. When I wake up in the morning I kind of get dizzy which is not normal.

The doctor also says its not mussle related and believes its a nerve a thing

With all these tests I am hoping by the 2nd week of March I have some answers. Any feedback about these symptoms would be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back