“70% of a nerves fibers die before you feel weakness. An EMG will detect that process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheel2005

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Marietta
This was on the stickies. Where did this info come from? Im in the process lf being checked out neurologically and ALS is not off the table. I passed my first EMG done a month ago but since then, I’ve experienced localized fasiculations (2 weeks straight) and after it finally stopped, my left arm literally started getting weaker - this is not perceived. I literally have a hard time getting my mind to tell my left fingers to push buttons properly on my phone to text. I thought maybe this was some type of nerve entrapment bc prior to this occuring, I was having some numbness in my forearm and fingers but there are people on here who were diagnosed with ALS whose firsr symptoms started off as numbness....

I’m working with a neurologist now but he is reluctant to do further work...im sure he’a waiting and watching.

Does weakness literally come on that quickly after a bout of twitching in one spot (neuro confirmed this was a fasiculation)? This fasiculation could not be stopped by steroids (which he tried). I was so concerned bc it was causing such severe cramping in my left tricep that I had to call my GP was who prescribed flexeril. That knocked the twitching out but since then, my left arm literally has a mind of its own....mainly my fingers. They keep locking on me and seem delayed. I cant really describe it any other way than that. ��

Last edited by a moderator:
An EMG will definitely detect changes of denervation and reinnervation before you would note weakness. If your EMG looked good a month ago, you’re good! Numbness also would point away from ALS.

So you have something else going on. Keep working with your doctors to get to the bottom of it. However, ALS seems very, very unlikely at this point.

i support what Karen wrote above.

You mentioned numbness being mentioned as a symptom of those who have been diagnosed with ALS. I follow this Forum pretty close...i don't really recall that.

It may have been mentioned in some form of after mention but numbness is not in the criteria of ALS diagnosis.

Numbness is a sensory related issue. Like when your hand of foot falls asleep.

Follow through with your doctors.

Thank you for the responses. Obviously, this is a very scary place to be. I have no idea what’s going on with me. The sensory type sensations were pretty mild (tingling more than full on numbness). But my entire left arm is giving me a real run for mt money ...especially my thumb and ring finger. Im struggling to push buttons to type this now. Not physically but like my brain just wont connect the dots completely.

I’ve read mixed reviews on how early an EMG can be done to detect so it feels a bit up in the air. When I went a month ago, they did the EMG to rule out peripheral neuropathy. They said nothing came out of the EMG. It was normal. This was done by the Director of the EMG department at Emory’s Neuromuscular clinic.

Im doing my best to take that as a blessing but i’ve read a lot about ALS developing differently for everyone.

Waiting on a call back from my neuro. Prayers/good vibes into the universe are welcome. No one deserves this disease. Im a 37 year old mom of two little ones...just trying ti wrap my head around what’a going on with me neurologically

Your post above...

"They said nothing came out of the EMG. It was normal. This was done by the Director of the EMG department at Emory’s Neuromuscular clinic.

Key words... "It was normal" Wow... go with that.

You wrote you are a 37 year old Mom of two little ones... I remember those days, on my wife's part. Hang on to when they become teenagers

Once many years ago I read an animal study where they wrote something at the time I took as a horrifying statement... "They were perplexed why sometimes lions eat their young." Yikes!

Being honest... there were times I remembered that statement. :)

Anywhooo... embrace and rejoice that the EMG was normal. Follow up with your doctors so you'll be better prepared as they get older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back