62 year old father in law, both arms constant twitches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAnonSIL

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello all.

I am posting here about my Father-in-law. He is 62 years old, some past spinal damage (disc issues and bone spurs, I don't know the specifics).

He is still active and lifts weights, but has had a bunch of random lifting-related injuries in the past many years. I know he's gotten weaker in that time (as you'd expect from injuries + getting older..), but when we saw each other for easter I noticed that both of his arms were twitching seemingly nonstop, mostly in the upper arm / triceps area.

I haven't said anything to him, but I can't help but worry. Could twitching in both upper arms be an early sign of flail arm? Or would it more likely be explained by another injury?

I'd hate to sit by and watch while something is actually wrong, but at the same time I don't want to sound crazy going and telling my in-laws that I think they have a terminal disease.

Twitching without a change in function is not a concern as regards ALS, but since it could signal a new or worsening injury in his case, I would encourage him to at least show the twitches to his PCP on video. All you have to say is that you noticed the twitching, know he's had injuries, and want to make sure things everything is OK.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie. You're likely right, and I'll bring it up in that way. It's just so hard to find anything online about twitching except ALS! Though I know there are plenty of other causes.

Will update here if/when he goes to the DR and anything changes

Laurie,

As I mentioned I've been a bit anxious and have been reading through the newly diagnosed and PALS section lately. Maybe I've gotten a wrong impression, but it actually seems quite common for people here to have twitching as a first symptom (that they notice, at least).

I may be overthinking it.. but I am just really struggling with the possibility of ALS

Particularly from a couple posts I read today:

"The point here is that most all fasciculations are indeed benign as described in this forums sticky posts, But if you are over 45 and suddenly develop them, pay attention and don’t procrastinate obtaining additional tests."

"I also developed twitching (along with left foot cramping, not much but still there) long before I showed any weakness."

"As I've said in other threads here, fasciculations were my sole presenting symptom. Upon seeing my twitching - and based on nothing else - my PCP sent me directly to a neurologist for further testing. Then my neurologist found no weakness on exam, and no atrophy. Just nonstop twitching, which is why he set up my EMG, which was abnormal. After I continued along with no "failure" for over a year after that, I was dismissed on these pages."

I'm just so so scared and reading these things makes me feel like it just has to be!

Please read here carefully

I know you are scared, but asking terminally ill people to hold your hand is not appropriate. Twitching means nothing. You can scare yourself silly, but we can't then keep calming you down, especially when it is about someone else.

STOP READING - you are doing this to yourself.
It is like saying, he is getting headaches so I am certain he has a terminal brain tumour.

I am really sorry for the fear you are feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back