Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
Good Morning.

Deep respect and love to all in the ALS community. I have read through many of the frightened questions that are asked of you and on this "Could this be" forum and am thankful to all who take the time to address those of us who merely afraid of dealing with the very thing that you all deal with every day.

I am a 55 year old male who has has left foot eversion issues for about 7 months. I will be watching television and my foot will suddenly evert outward without my consent. It is painful and requires much massage to get this muscle to relax. It is painful to walk with this tendon/ muscle always wanting to be inflamed. Foot/calf cramping became an issue with exertion. My exercise routine has fallen way off as I deal with lower extremity muscles that don't seem to want to cooperate and soreness leaves me wondering how I used to squat weight. I am awaken several times at night due to my foot muscle everting and just feeling.....funny. . . it's usually the same muscle that "spasms" (peroneus longus) . I have to be careful when I stretch as I can provoke painful cramps if I do it without thought to keeping it within limits. Saw an orthopedist who immediately ordered an EMG (attached). No balance issues. No swallowing problems or throat issues whatsoever. This is mostly a constant cramping (my foot wants to cramp as I sit here typing this).
Last couple of weeks my cramping has progressed to right leg and fasciculations are present- especially in calves mostly, but occasionally in the thighs too. Very sore upper right femoral muscles protest at standing too long. But gait is unaffected and normal (besides painful on top of foot)
I am a little concerned at the "spontaneous MUAP" of the EMG. The neurologist said after he performed the exam that that was the only thing that got his attention, in spite of recording a normal exam.
With right leg involvement, I'm wondering if only testing nerves in the left leg may have missed something?

(file removed due to posting error)

God bless and thank you for your time. I am, admittedly, a little ashamed at asking this of you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
I don’t know what is meant by a spontaneous muap nor do i see it in your report. I also don’t see the summary.

I don’t see anything at all though pointing to ALS

what is the explanation for your symptoms? What did your clinical exam show? from your description if they are anything in the mnd spectrum they sound most like spasticity which is obvious on clinical exam

your orthopedist who ordered the emg should have some recommendation based on their assessment. What was it?

I am so sorry, I have posted the EMG of another poster who I was reading earlier. This one is mine.
I have not received explanation for my symptoms yet. Clinical exam was normal. The orthopedist who ordered the exam was telling me about it as she was walking out of the room, effectively ending my chances for questions, and no, I will not be returning to that particular doctor. My information regarding EMGs has mostly come from this site and Google.

Attachments

• My EMG.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 171
I still don’t see anything indicating ALS on the emg. I would start over with my pcp and see what they think

nope not ALS
stop reading and downloading things
see your doctor, let them do the doctoring, follow their advice and take control of your health

After a several neurologist appointments I have been diagnosed with benign cramp fasciculation syndrome. The last neuro said that she wanted to follow me closely because, due to my age, she was a little worried. According to her I am a little old to be acquiring this syndrome as in her experience most cases start in patients who are in 30s or 40s. I have since done some reading and am unnerved to see that there are cases of clean EMGs and cramp fasciculation syndromes that do ultimately lead to ALS diagnosis some years later. . . Years? But I was impressed that clean EMG = no ALS, and that they really can't be done too early. . . especially with a normal clinical exam (aside from a little upper hyper refexia).

Nope, but the more you read the more you will find something you are convinced fits your experiences.
I would suggest you stop chasing this, work on your general health, and see your doctor if you have concerns.
All the very best, this is great news.

Thank you all for being so kind and putting up with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back