Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
City
North Star
I noticed my dads left tricep twitches constantly. He has some weakness and other issues but so far it is explained by other health issues according to the doctors (old health issues, torn rotator cuffs and stuff) but I am very worried having noticed the twitching

He says he thinks he's had that for a while and has had EMG to look at the nerve damage they already know he has and he said they didnt see anything interesting, but I dont have the actual results

I also twitch.. so on the one hand.. it makes sense that maybe I got my frequent twitching from him or something? But I am still super worried

I mostly only twitch on my calves and sometimes other places but his tricep is all the time

Another EMG wouldn't be ordered on stable twitching alone. I would make sure it's in the records of whoever's managing his shoulder injury.

However, if he had an EMG in the last year and the weakness has not progressed past what the other issues explain, I would not worry. Should any new impairment develop, that would certainly be something to explore, as always.

Anyway, even if he had ALS, which I don't think he does, it would not pass to you a generation earlier than his own onset.

Both of you could explore any dietary deficiencies you might share, but we all twitch from time to time.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your reply Laurie

I just get so scared. He has other issues from past injuries and arthritis, so he has gotten weaker over time and even though I know those things are the most likely cause of his problems, that + the twitching just makes me so scared.

He had an EMG a while back about weakness in his other arm and the only finding was the nerve damage that he's had for years due to a surgery. Is there any chance findings would have been off in the other arm? Because I know at the very least he still had twitching when the EMG was done, but it was different arms.

If he had a problem beyond the nerve damage known to be from surgery, it would have shown up in some form. That kind shows up differently on EMG.

Also, again, twitching is not an indication for an EMG, so you can't take that as a sign of anything that an EMG would/should see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back