Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
Two days until we leave for our grand adventure. Although my insurance approved formulary exemptions for Radicava and Relyvrio I wasn’t able to get everything to th right pharmacy in time to jump all the hoops and get started for travel , I did get a Trilogy for the trip and a small folding power w to cut down on fatigue. When I can I‘ll post updatesand some pictures. Wish me safe travels.

51 Days...This is going to be a great trip! Have a wonderful time! Do let us hear from you! Enjoy!

I am so excited for you. Looking forward to the pictures!

Oh this is so exciting - keep us updated with all the stories and photos you can - but mostly just ENJOY!

Have an amazing time! Please do post pics.

Yes! Please post updates. We are so happy for you!

First weekly update with no pictures yet—my wi is photographer and h photos are now on my phone or iPad so I may transfer them to the MacBook and start posting from there. If I on a cruise ship is never great, even ith expensive upgrade just speedchecked it at about 8 Mbps download and 3 upload o most pictures I’ll wait. My wife is doing a Journi blog that she has invited our friends to follow, so I guess she is uploading some of the pictures.
Thus far we had 2 sea days getting to the Antilles with stops on St. Maartin and St. Lucia. We didn’t take any excursions on those two islands as we had been before but did give my folding power wheelchair a whirl on each of them, just to see how much hassle it would be. Turns out to too bad since I am still otherwise ambulatory and can get out and walk as needed. I was taking the “conserve energy “ seriously by getting the chair. We followed with 4 sea days getting down to Brazil and the equator at the mouth of the Amazon river where we celebrated Christmas and our ship grounded itself in mud entering the river. Slowed us down for an hour or so. It was one of several areas that have the phenomenon of muddy water from the Amazon not mixing with the Atlantic Ocean water for quite a while.same occurred today at our first Amazon port of Santerém. There we had a very distinct area where the Amazon and a major tributary merge and the clear blue water runs along side the muddy Amazon for several miles.
Here we did an excursion that lasted about 4 hours and since we were tendering, it didn’t make sense to bother with the chair and I just walked, using my hiking stick to keep me steady. My watch clocked me at over 3 miles today and so far feel great. We will see how it goes tomorrow. We have an easy port tomorrow in Paritins where I only have to walk a quarter mile from the dock to the auditorium . Seeing the Boi Bumba folklore show the the next 2 days are in Manaus in the middle of the country.
usually when we cruise, we skip the elevators and use the stairs but this time I have been using them a lot more but still try to use the stairs if it is less than 3 flight’s especially down. I know the time will come when I can’t do these things so I’m trying as long as I can.
Photos will follow eventually. Sorry for the long post. It must be a “Steve” thing. Steve

How fantastic, and it is lovely to get a long post that is a story of taking an adventure! We've been watching for an update.
Thanks Steve!

Steve, you are very active! I can't believe the ship gets stuck in the mud and gets grounded!

I'm thrilled that you and your wife are making these special memories!

Ok so I haven’t been updating weekly as I planned. My wife has been doing a Journi blog that allows our friends to keep up with our advent and documents our trip. I have decided that even the upgraded internet on the ship is not worth the effort of uploading pictures until we get true hi speed again. So pictures will wait until we get back.

as usual I try to stay optimistic but I have been struggling with pain the last few weeks. All I have currently is Tylenol as I can’t do the NSAIDs anymore due to blood thinners and I’m trying to make my supply last Tl we get home in three more weeks. My motor symptoms started in my right shoulder which has progressed to major atrophy of the shoulder back and chest on that side and it feels like the abs are joining in. My right hand and forearm may be atrophied as well but the pain from the initial sensory symptoms from 3 years ago increased to the pins and needles and lack of proprioreception. Thus is my frustration.

That being said I will bring you up to date as we began the third leg of our journey last week and will be in the Falklands tomorrow. Since my last post, we visited Manaus on the interior of Brazil on the Amazon—how odd to see a huge city in the middle of the rain forest with an European style opera house looking like the one in Paris.

We visited about 6 or 7 more cities in Brazil including overnight in Rio then on toward Argentina with two stops in Uruguay on the way to an overnight in Buenos Aires then repeating the stops in Uruguay and stopping again in Argentina for a visit to Patagonia to watch some sheep shearing in an area settled by Welch who still speak in in some villages.

I have discovered that my power chair, though portable has not been used since the first week and I have just been walking. So much for energy conservation. I am so lucky I am still ambulatory even as I lose use of my right arm. I am currently typing this on my iPad using my 2 thumb method. As I retain much finger use on tHe right hand.
I look forward to being back and sharing more with you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is good to hear from you! It sounds like an amazing trip and you are making the best of it despite your challenges.

Hope your pain subsides

look forward very much to your pictures when you get back

So glad the adventures continue. Enjoy.

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

I have pins & needles with lots of pain on both legs from the knees down. My left foot is in constant pain and Neurontin and ice are the only things that relieves it enough to sleep. The pain limits my walking more than the weakness does, at this point.

I can't wait to see all the pictures!

I just love that you are doing the trip, and making the most of all experiences. We are grateful for any time you are able to check in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back