Did anyone notice a point when their relationship changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger83

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
IRL
State
Leinster
City
Cavan
I'm a married man with ALS 7 years now. I'd like to know if anyone noticed a point in your journey when your relationship changed from being husband and wife to just patient and carer?

Yes I think that is just normal progression. My wife and I still have a loving relationship but it is more patient and caregiver now. We have been married now for over 50 years.
Al

What about abuse? Has there ever been verbal abuse as in the caregiver being resentful at times having to provide care?

Yes, one or two times over the last 5 years, but nothing abusive. More along the lines of I tired of this..
Al

Last edited:
What about abuse? Has there ever been verbal abuse as in the caregiver being resentful at times having to provide care?
Ginger, what you may be experiencing is a caregiver in the throes of burnout.

Symptoms of caregiver burnout. There can also be associated compassion fatigue:

temp.jpg

Karstboy, your info is much appreciated, where did you get this?
Al

Ginger may I ask - is your CALS getting help with caring duties and emotional support? Is it possible there is some depression involved and there could be help through medical support?
If your CALS isn't addressing these things it would be very hard for you to suggest it - is there someone close to your CALS you could confide in that could help your CALS seek more support?

TBH being a CALS is not something that everyone handles well, it's tough on many levels. When a CALS loses sight of how tough it is to be a PALS, which is a whole other level, they need help for sure.

Ginger, are there things you two could do together that would make it feel more like husband and wife? I find something as simple as holding hands while watching TV helps.

And getting her some caregiver help could also improve the situation. It is hard to switch from caregiver to wife when you are constantly in the role of caregiver.

I love my husband so much. He is my soul mate. But sometimes I'm so tired of helping him with everything that I want to scream. Yet my love for him never lessens. It is a very strange situation for sure!

It certainly changes a relationship. If it's changed for the worse or the better depends on so many factors, the biggest probably being how you as a couple communicate. That and respect for the other person as an individual. The pressure can make a relationship break or form a diamond.

Here's my very individual look from a CALS perspective.

I at times found it hard to keep a romantic relationship with my boyfriend. He made it easy as he was super-sweet and caring. What made it hard for me was the sheer emotional, mental and physical load that caregiving is, with some added advance-grief to send me over the edge at times. I sometimes saw being a CALS as my job, because no single other person was remotely as involved in every aspect of not just caregiving but also of household, financials, coordinating friends and worrying about the near future.
So I was on the job all the time (in the beginning trying to focus on my paycheck job at the same time).
"Being on the job" means go-mode, not much time to dally, it's just another mindset as spending some quality time with your spouse. But there is no clock on that "job", ALS never stops, you can never be to quick to get the next needed equipment ready, be informed about what might be ahead, read through information and stories to help your PALS make informed decisions. So even if a PALS is as relatively easy-peasy as mine to have his needs taken care of, there is the constant mental load.

I early on worried about turning from a girlfriend into a full-blown caregiver as that would also mean turning my PALS into a mere patient and losing a boyfriend at the same time. He felt the same way and he sometimes had to deal with the verbal consequences of having a girlfriend as opposed to a professional caregiver. ;- )
Couples bicker, couples get into an argument, couples make up. Compared to the 15 years before there was less bickering, very few arguments and more heartfelt meltdowns and deep talks.

I didn't wrap him up in a secure, soft ball of cotton, trying everything to keep the harsh reality away from him. While the muscles set down their work, his brain was sharp and he stayed mentally stable. It was clear that I was taking over more and more of his movements but he could help hugely with what he was able to do. Often that "just" entailed being charming, patient and empathic with me (he did great in that regard) and others (where he'd lose patience sometimes). He always was my confidant and someone who helped me to deal with stress or life in general. And I hope he told me all his grievances in return.

If a PALS has the fortitude to know that (s)he's not the stressor but the reason the spouse stays around although there's all this stress of ALS involved, that might help understanding. I could complain to my boyfriend about difficult healthcare workers, being so freaking tired right now or just about some silly everyday life, because he knew that I was there by choice. A partner's job is to sometimes see the worst of the other person and comfort them nonetheless. I still felt bittersweet about losing him while having the great priviledge to be comforted in that grief by him.

Frustration alone is not the problem, it's using the only person around to vent that frustration and making it hurt, too.
Caregiving can get very lonely at times, too. The burnout list of KarstBoy is very real.
My advice to CALS always is to get as many people and their help involved as early as possible. Being a silent hero will break you. Taking friends and family along for the ride is work, too, but it pays out. If I had the choice of cleaning or writing an update to friends I would always choose the latter. And if I had luck of having a professional caregiver in the house I happily handed over the duties of getting him ready for bed. I knew that my PALS most of the time would have preferred me over a professional and I'm thankful that he tolerated them for me. After a long day my patience for the upteenth toilet transfer or mask adjustment could be limited, so I enjoyed resting up for a bit before gliding in at the end of the routine. I was not only making sure he was comfortable and the caregiver had understood everything correctly but I also came to cuddle and talk, kiss him good night and maybe listen to an audio book together.
I'm sorry for this rambling post. It's just something that really kept my mind busy at times. rmt kinda said it all in a couple of lines.

I hope your wife finds help and support. The feeling of being caught in this situation without escape or relief can stand in the sightline of how good you were and could be as a couple. And I hope she treats you as well as can be, as you deserve respect, love and a partner on eye-level.

My husband and I were spooners 2 years ago. Now it’s difficult to sleep near each other. I have become a nurseses aid and things have definitely changed.

Wishmobbing- all so very true. Your “rambling” response needs to be heard.
As the primary/only caregiver myself, I feel all aspects of what you have written.
My husband was diagnosed in our 25th year of marriage in 2018. We had plans. Then with this diagnosis, those plans just stopped. So you have to reset everything while caring endlessly for your spouse. Not knowing what the future holds at all.
My love has continued. It’s what gives me the strength to keep going. As for abuse, mental games, it depends on what you personally decide is abuse or the definition of venting. As the caregiver, I am on the receiving end of it all and when people visit, my husband puts on a strong face for them. So to be honest, it is difficult for anyone to believe there are any issues at all. Yet when he becomes frustrated for lack of ability, I get, “just take me behind the barn and shoot me in the head.” And I will respond with a smile on my face saying, “Well, if I was going to do it, I would have done it by now so stop saying it!” Just an example of some bantering.
When I am frustrated, I deal with the task at hand then put on my headphones and go outside. Music is my escape. ( he can still text, so he does when he needs me, and I hear it in my headphones).
My husband is pretty content in his “command centre” . We have a van, but he’s happy to stay home. I would love to just go for a long drive!

Losing my abilities to speak, and also backing up how we feel with real emotion tones, people just assume the wrong things all the time. Its a tough battle we all are dealing with. Now that I haven't been able to eat, speak or drink anymore for almost 2 years, I notice that almost everyone wastes a lot of energy with conversations. Opinions should be said when you are asked for them, not just because you can. If there was cure, and I could speak again, I would be much more silent these days. Sometimes words come out to others the wrong way, and I would spend more energy making sure I dont voice my opinions that hurt others. Just me thinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back