50/50 Chance Of Getting Als, Would You Be Tested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's an old saying...why borrow trouble? If getting the info led to the ability to prevent the disease from occuring then it would be more of an option. But, since there's no way to prevent MND from happening, and no cure, I agree with everyone else's perspective. The one gift being introduced to the possibility of MND is that you can shift your focus to live an intentional life and make sure you celebrate the gift that life is.

Peace,

no,no.no.live your life as if you did not know.why worry about something you cannot change.

I would want to know, not just for health reasons, but it will put a strain financially on a family.
If you know ahead of time you can be financially prepare.
Just another thought to think about.
God Bless,
Wayne

I keep going back and fourth with every answer ? I think I would not be tested...or would that just be putting my head in the sand? It is such a financial burden I think I would want to prepare ahead in case it does. Yet, I want to live a life of freedom which was taken from me the day I and my family found out..... I believe I would talk to my husband and children and then make the decision? I know that wasn't much help at all? Sorry! Hugs, Linda

Wow I am pretty versed on the Familial ALS thing, but have never heard about the age and chances. I may very well have the genetic form, but I am not getting tested. I will if prevention or such occurs, but for now my son has enough on his plate, I am not going to by him anymore trouble today. This is such a tough question, and I fight with it all of the time.. Good luck with your decision.

I wouldl be tested after putting all of the financial precautions into place.

I have FALS in my family- not SOD1 though. My Dad died from ALS almost 2 years ago and at least 4 of his siblings did. I do not want to be tested at present -I'm in my 40s now and in general I don't worry about it. Sometimes if I hear about someone having it my breath catches, but mostly I just live my life. I know one thing that helps me in an ironic, sad kind of way is that my niece has a 2 year old gorgeous daughter who is very disabled with CDKL5 and is PEG fed- this puts everything in perspective for me and my personal risk.

Like everyone says it's a very personal decision- good luck to anyone having to make it!

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back