00/0000
Country
UK
State
BC
City
Manc
Hi all,

I have posted twice previously on this forum. I think the last time was about 3 years ago, the time before that about 4.5 yrs ago. To provide a bit of background, I first noticed twitching in my calves 5 years and two months ago. I noticed it whilst sitting out in the sun, both were twitching away constantly, almost like little explosions going off within the muscle. The twitching has remained with me ever since and is body wide. I went to the GP 4 years ago. He did a physical exam, noticed hyper reflexes in my left arm and referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist also completed an exam, found nothing of concern and diagnosed me with BFS.

Fast forward 5 years and two months and I spent the day (Sunday) cleaning my patio. I was sat in an awkward position, resting (kneeling/squatting) largely on my lower L leg. I was in this position for a couple of hours, although I did get up with some regularity. My legs were tired and aching at the end of the day.

Then, Monday morning, I woke up and my leg felt odd, almost like I could not control it. I did the heel/toe tests that I used to do some yrs previous when concerned about ALS, and, I cannot lift the toes on my L leg. I cannot heel walk on my left leg. I was incredibly worried but wondered whether it may be due to my positioning on the Sunday. I rested until the Tuesday and tried to run (I run 6 x wk). I couldn’t run – my leg does not feel like my own. I was having to exaggerate my knee lift to even attempt to make a stride. I stopped and again rested. I have woken this morning and there is no improvement. My lower leg does not function. I cannot lift my toes and I cannot heel walk in the slightest. My toes scrape on the ground when I walk. The front and rear of the lower leg is twitching away.

I am now pretty dam petrified. I guess my question is whether ALS weakness/progression can be triggered by a compression type injury? Would it come on quite so quickly? In my Googling I cannot see that such short term weakness would be caused by sitting in an awkward position for such a brief period of time. I have booked an appt with my GP for review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing your doctor is the right move. Jumping to ALS is not. it sounds like some kind of compression nerve injury is thecause of your symptoms rather than a trigger. Rest,stretch, stop self tests and see your doctor

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back