Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
OH
City
Massillon
At my Clinic visit yestereday, my neurologist reccommended I have a suprapubic catheter put in given the fact that I am totally reliant upon my wheelchair with transfers for toileting. From the little understanding I have, this sounds like a great plan to save my caregivers less transfers during the day and less risk of falls as my legs continue to weaken and not hold me up at all.

I recall a member commented once about getting hers and sounded quite positive. Could those of you with experience please comment regarding your experience. My questions are:
  • cleaning/showering
  • tube changing-how often
  • ease/unease in traveling
  • more independence?
Thank you in advance for all of your expertise.

I have a consult for the same in three weeks. I was reluctant to have surgery but after seven rounds of antibiotics in five months, I can't wait to ditch this foley catheter. The person I remember having it was doglady. I know she had UTIs afterwards but she still souded happy with it.

I thought it was Doglady as well. I thought of you, Jessie, the whole time my doctor was talking about my situation. He does not like the option of the catheter you used, for that very same reason of infections.

Thank you, Laurie! I do recall her post now that I have read it. She included lots of details.

I look forward to hearing what you find out Cathy. I’m going to have to look into this soon as well.

Darcey did not use a catheter until she was in hospice. She wished that she'd looked into catheter options well before the last month of her life. It would have made her quality of life (and ours, as caregivers) so much better. We just didn't know that was a worthwhile option.

My best...

Jim

I sure wish I hadn't waited so long. These UTIs and antibiotics are brutal.

Surgery scheduled for July 19th. I will update this process with everyone.
My presurgical testing includes Pulmonary Function test, chest x-ray, and COVID test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back