Diagnosis
05/2001
Country
US
State
MA
City
Greater Boston Area
My husbands power chair started displaying this error code, and seems to be frozen up. The screen says "JSM system error 8111." Does anyone know if there is an easy fix? I'm hoping to avoid a service call.

My practice for all such errors was to move the joystick around at all angles first -- that's a joystick error. Wiggle the wires up to the joystick gently, reconnect anything loose, reboot. It's kind of like a frozen screen where you are just looking to shake it up a bit. Keep us posted!

Thanks, Laurie :)

I wiggled the cables, and was able to, at least, move the chair, but now there is a "bad cable" error. Guess I'm on the right track. Still may have to call. I'll update when I can get it solved.

What's strange is that all of the wiring seems in excellent shape.

The cables should be easy to access on an F3.

I would recommend carefully inspecting each component of the cabling from the joystick to the power module.

You might have to remove a cover on the back of the wheelchair (easy to do) to see where it goes. Under that cover, you will likely find a junction box.

I recommend unplugging the cable at each junction, cleaning it with an electrical contact cleaner (available on amazon, walmart, and many other places), and then plugging things back together.

If you do find a bad cable, they are easily replaced.

I keep a few spares on hand just in case. I did not buy them for that purpose, I just accumulated them as I grew my wheelchair collection. Having them allows me to swap out cables to help determine whether or not I have a bad cable.

Steve

Thanks so much, Steve!

I guess we need to get more familiar with the inner workings of his chair.

We have a tech coming tomorrow. I'll be sure to get some pointers.

As a follow up, the tech came out, spent over an hour switching out cables. (I asked them to come out just to get the chair functioning while we waited for the parts to come in because hubby needs that chair.)

He wasn't able to find the bad cable, if there is one. What worries me is that the part we are waiting for is new cables. I asked Numotion to send loaner chair, but never heard back.

The problem is related to the seat adjustment, because that is when the chair stops working. I think the fact that it has a foot pedal rather than a joystick also seems to be problem. I get the impression that the foot pedal is not the most common control method.

I'll update again once the problem s resolved. Steve, I can totally see why you have to become self sufficient in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back