Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
UK
State
UK
City
London
I have severe OCD so I am absolutely terrified of inheriting ALS. I haven’t slept properly

My half-uncle was diagnosed with ALS this month. He is around 73 years old.
My dad is around 65 and is currently 100% healthy. My father and half-uncle are relatives via their father (my grandfather, who lived until 96 and no ALS). I know my great grandfather died at 54 but all I know is it was described in a paper as a ‘short illness’ in the 1930. I don’t know my uncles history on his mother’s side (she died giving birth)

My mothers side are all completely healthy.

is it possible that this will be fals?

Very very very highly unlikely. So unlikely you should forget about it. For all kinds of reasons. first your uncle is old for FALS. Second you have no idea why your great grandfather died quite young. There are a gazillion reasons far more likely and short illness does not describe ALS anyway. his son your grandfather lived until 96. In your scenario he would have to be an asymptomatic carrier which even more strains credibility as the chances of that are very very very very low to almost non existent. This is ocd and anxiety talking to you

Hey Nikki.
Thank you for replying! I forgot to mention that my grandfather had Parkinson’s disease. We have a really small family so I can’t say much else. I have read a lot about Parkinson’s linked to ALS and the C9 gene.

The 96 yo? PD is very very common in men over 80. It is an extremely rare c9 manifestation and often then a misdiagnosis. Virtually 100 percent of c9 men are dead from ALS or FTD by 83. You need to talk to your counselor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back