Diagnosis
06/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tallahassee
Hello everyone. I am thrilled about the recent COVID vaccine news, but have been reading that they can cause fairly significant Flu-like symptoms for a couple of days. Our immune systems are already compromised, so I’m wondering if anyone else is a little concerned about this. Thanks, Kevin

The flu like symptoms are because people’s immune systems are working The stronger your immune response the worse they will be. Example is shingrix which had worse side effects in the younger populations who got it because immune function wanes with age.

That’s a great point, Nikki. You are absolutely right, and I needed to think that part through a little better. K

I can’t wait for my turn! I do plan on scheduling downtime after each one but it will be so worth it.

Nikki, me too!

Steve

I was just talking to an elderly relative who is going to skip it. I want his turn! 😀

Why not?

The last thing any of us need is COVID 19.

I hope many of us have been lucky so far.

I just hope we are in (considered) for the first round.

As a CALS I definitely want us both to be in the (socially distanced) line asap. I have been very careful and we have both given up a lot of social interaction. I don't want to put my PALS at risk and if I get sick don't know how I'll take care of him.

V

In Colorado, the state has approved a plan to the distribution of Covid19 vaccines. The vaccine will be given to folks in the following order:

1. Phase 1
    1. Assisted living facilities workers
    2. Home health care workers
    3. Outpatient pharmacists
    4. Police Officers
    5. Firefighters
    6. Public health workers
    7. Corrections staff (prisons)
    8. Nursing home and assisted living patients
  2. Phase 2
    1. Homeless living in shelters
    2. Adult group home residents
    3. Workers who share living spaces (e.g. ski industry and agriculture).
    4. Students living in dormitories
    5. Essential workers (grocery, teachers, child care workers, meat packing, etc.)
    6. People over 65 or who have certain health risks
  3. Phase 3
    1. Adults aged 18 to 64.
It looks like I am in the sixth group of Phase 2. I don't anticipate vaccines being available for that group for quite some time.

If you read the list carefully, you will see that it sucks to be 65 years old:). That age group is omitted from the list. I am sure that is not the intent, but it is what the words say.

Steve

Um I don’t see doctors nurses other hospital workers? They are top of our list and institutions were told a while back to prioritize groups. I fully expect the ED ,ICU and other units that care for covid patients to go first as they should. I think they will probably be followed by those who care for vulnerable populations

maybe if you are 65 you just can’t get it on your birthday? After that you are 65 and a day so over 65?

it will be interesting to see distribution patterns. There is some thought here we might get mostly pfizer rather than moderna once things start flowing because we have more of the needed ultra low temperature facilities than almost anywhere in the US

This is for Canadians:
Phase 1 for long-term care residents, comprised and senior people, health care personale, including hospital, public health & home care staff & clients, first responders (including prison staff and so forth and care givers of compromised persons.
Phase 2 general population which I imagine means everyone. This is what I have heard through news agencies.
Canadians are most concerned about how long we will wait before a vaccine is available as we are down the list in getting it. All to be expected when our PM Stephen Harper drastically cut all science & health reseach agencies just 5 to 8 years ago.

Wondering whether a thread is worthwhile discussing those who have received vaccine. Including any discussions on effects and discussion whether ALS patients are having impacts from vaccine. Realize it may be a few weeks or months but with UK having started and US starting within days, hopefully input will soon be forthcoming

Reactions: lgg
I've been wondering about the possible side effects of the the vaccine on ALS patients. While watching Dr Fauci doing a town hall on the vaccine he said there was no data available on the side effects on people with underlying conditions. Did they only do the trial on healthy adults?

I think they had different criteria. IIRC Moderna had an exclusion for unstable disease but they all wanted people at high risk for covid exposure. Even if they did have people with various diagnoses though they weren’t separated out

Looked at the Pfizer criteria -- investigator discretion for conditions, of course, but otherwise past Phase I (at risk for severe disease an exclusion since that is the safety phase) nothing that would prima facie exclude PALS. NCT04368728_0 | SARS-CoV-2 Infection, COVID-19 Clinical Trial | Pfizer

Of course, that does not mean any PALS were actually in the trials.

Perhaps more to the point, we have no evidence that ALS is mediated by the immune system, so I would get the vaccine as soon as you can, same as I would say for flu (and pneumonia when you reach 65). For communities that group "underlying conditions," as Steve notes, ALS definitely qualifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back