Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
IN
City
indianapolis
I am taking care of my wife that was diagnosed in Dec.2019. It has been overwhelming with the emotions and dealing with the complexities of this disease. We are trying to adjust our living arrangements to get her on one floor with bed and bathroom. She is now staying in a chair all the time sleeping. Mobility is getting harder and she has fallen several times lucky not hurting herself to bad. Trying to come up with a mobile shower to use in the kitchen. This is tough on all of us going thru this with your spouse or loved one.

Hello,

I'm sorry to welcome you to the forum. However, there are many knowledgeable folks here to answer questions you may have.
Does your wife use a mobility aid? Falls can hasten progression, so it is best to keep her as safe as one can.

Before our shower was finished, we would give my husband sponge baths every other day and wash his hair in the kitchen sink, with the sink hose. What is your current set up?

This is a devastating disease to watch your love one go through.

Can she get a hospital bed? Sleeping in a chair is not ideal for sleep or skin, for most people. As BestFriends says, let us know more about your setup and we can suggest options for you.

Best,
Laurie

When I was diagnosed we immediately reorganised our home which has made our lives easier. Fortunately I weigh half of what my husband does so he easily picks me up out of bed and wheels me into shower. Our toilet has been raised and has a removable metal frame with armrest to help me on and off the toilet. I now have little use of my hands and we have got into a good morning and evening routine. I sleep in a normal bed so he can help me turn when needed. I spend half my day in a wheelchair (with a fat cushion on the seat) in front of my computer and the rest of the day in a recliner and play games or watch TV on my Tablet. Its imperative you find what is easiest for you and fortunately my husband and I have learned to be patient, take your time and find the humour in things. So often, probably once a day, when he picks me up a little wind will escape or one foot stands on the other foot so I am stuck and so I giggle and with the giggling comes the dribbling! This disease is cruel but you can't fight it.... it is what it is..... so focus always on the positives eg. our adult children visit far more often now, I don't ever need to refuel a car again and I can watch as much TV as I like!
I am so sorry that you are in the same predicament as us. I encourage you to ask for help and just enjoy this time together.

It’s a lot of work to get my husband into the bath every day so I went on amazon and bought an assortment of wet bath towels (much like makeup remover but for the body) they work wonderful. There is one from scrubbzz that is rince free. You wet it and it gives suds but you don’t have to wash it off. U can get ones that have a scent or not. It makes him feel clean between baths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back