Diagnosis
07/2020
Country
US
State
CA
City
XXXX
Hi All! I feel like this is a funny request, but does anyone have a butt pillow they recommend? I have lost a ton of weight (usual weight is about 130 and I’m down to 96), which has left me little in the booty region. I’ve gotten quite a bit of atrophy in the the ”butt bone” area. And since I’m sitting more and more, it’s really starting to bother me. Any suggestions? And if it’s something I can order off of Amazon, even better! Thanks!

Thank you! Those look great and whew, pricey! LOL! But at this point, I’m willing to try anything. It’s really uncomfortable.

Are you talking about for a recliner or wheelchair? Roho is one of the best for wheelchairs, but there are other options for recliners.

More-so for a recliner. I’m not in a wheelchair full time yet. (Not really leaving the house much at all because of COVID and I’m mostly just using a cane around the house.) Right now, I just use regular pillows, but they don’t help much and I feel like I have to constantly try and shift from side to side, which isn’t the easiest. I’ve looked online and there are a bajillion choices. Just was looking for something someone has actually used and likes.

I switched from regular cushions to a RoHo Quadtro Select High Profile seat cushion for the main chair I sit in the house.

They are expensive, but it has solved my problem.

Just last week I decided that the Roho has to go with us for me to sit on in the car if I am not riding my wheelchair in the car (I normally transfer from the wheelchair to the front seat). That front seat is starting to get harder and harder:).

I use that same model of Roho cushion in all my wheelchairs that will accommodate it.

Steve

definitely ROHO are the best. We used it on recliner chair with great success.

My husband got a “ventilated orthopedic seat cushion” pillow for his computer chair.
It was cheap, served the purpose and he still uses it.

He has a ROHO cushion on his power chair and likes that too :)

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a ROHO cushion work for someone who spends the majority of the day/night in a hospital bed? The coccyx seat cushion doesn't seem to work anymore, and we're beginning to see signs of skin breakdown on my brother's buttocks. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience.

ROHO will work anywhere. I've pulled mine off my PWC and used it for long games of cards.

@elandnj For your brother, maybe an alternating air cushion of some kind. Speak to his clinic/nurse and mention the skin breakdown. You don't want him getting infected bedsores.

Roho also makes a less expensive air cushion. Search "ROHO MOSAIC Cushion" on Amazon. It's not quite as good as their higher end air cushions, but I was impressed with the comfort. I found it much better than more expensive Jay gel cushions. When inflating the air cushion the objective is to use enough air so as to not bottom out, but keeping the pressure low enough to allow it to contour to your shape and spread the seating pressure over a large area. Hope this helps. It's important, discomfort on the butt is not fun! Jim

Whatever cushion you get (for the recliner, Stimulite makes one worth considering), the objective is to sit in it, not on it. When you are on it, as Jimi points out, pressure is created that can lead to injury.

It is also for that reason that most hospital bed mattresses on their own are not good enough for PALS -- they are designed for the "on" kind of situation, where health care staff move the patient around like a rag doll, with less need to protect the joints -- and you will want an overlay of some kind.

Thank you for this thread - it's very timely for my PALS! He has been complaining of a sore on his backside...somehow it started in the hospital which makes me think there was a scrape during transfers. I will try a cushion and hopefully that will help him.

Would a ROHO cushion work for someone who spends the majority of the day/night in a hospital bed?

I do not use my Roho seat cushion on my hospital bed and cannot imagine that it would be helpful for me. It seems to me like it would just create a raised spot that would irritate my bottom when I am relatively flat in the bed.

I have a Hill Rom Advance hospital bed with their Dynamicaire Sleep Surface. That is essentially an air mattress. We have it set to the "Prevention" mode, and that automatically adjusts the air pressure in the mattress to reduce the likelihood of pressure sores. It adjusts the pressure frequently and I find it to be a very comfortable surface to sleep on.

Before moving to this mattress, I was having some issues with pressure sores, but mostly on my heels. Now, I have no issues with pressure sores.

There are more sophisticated mattresses that will change the air in patterns that accomplish other objectives, such as repositioning the patient. I believe there are mattress toppers that have similar functionality.

What I have works very well for me

Steve

I have an alternating pressure support mattress on my hospital bed and I find it unbelievably comfortable. I am otherwise unable to move at all in bed. I have no problem with pressure sores despite lying in the same spot for 9 consecutive hours every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back