Diagnosis
04/2018
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Should there be a correlation between oxygen saturation and shortness of breath? I’ve got good oxygen saturation but am always short of breath. The oxygen saturation level measures 96 in the morning after a night using bipap and 93-96 during the day rolling around in my PWC and not doing very much. I’ve been watching this to see if I should start using the bipap a little during the day. I may do that anyway but confused about these two being so different. Thanks !

There can be a correlation, but not necessarily. Being short of breath is a more important sign than sats, which can jump around for many reasons and take more punishment to really go off the rails. If you are struggling, I would try the BiPAP during the day.

Best,
Laurie

You could be short of breath if you are retaining CO2 because elevated CO2 stimulates your drive to breathe. I suggest trying the BiPAP during part of the day as well as at night. I was resisting doing that, but I have found it very helpful. It has a calming effect for me and I can tell I’m not working as hard to breathe when I am using it. You may also need your settings adjusted. Laurie can probably help you with that.

Last edited:
If you try the bipap more during the day and it helps, then the answer is you need it more. If it doesn't, I'd really recommend discussing your settings with lgelb as it could make all the difference. Horrible feeling to be short of breath - don't feel you just have to put up with it.

I use NIV 24/7. Karen is right on. I'm not an expert, but I believe you can get a good O2 sat reading but it doesn't register the co2 built up.

Ok, I’ll definitely give the bipap some time during the day then. I’ve been resisting it too but worth a try. Thank you for the suggestion. I’m still using the bipap settings that the respiratory technician set up the day she delivered it 16 months ago. They seem ok but I guess I wouldn’t really know. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back