Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Oakville
This go's back to about January 1975, at the time I was working part time for Jack Lyons of Lyons Auto Body and Towing. I was driving a tow truck for Jack and on this particular night I received a call for someone stuck in a driveway as during the day we had received about a quarter inch of ice from freezing rain.
When I got to the address on Mississauga Road I was told that it was Ronnie Hawkins house and as it turned out the guy stuck in his driveway was Kris Kerstofferson, he was driving a 1966 Blue Chevy Impala,I don't know why I remember that but I do. Anyway I went about getting Kris's car up to the road and then I seen this hillbilly trying to walk down the icy driveway in cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, buckskin coat and a big beard he got to me stuck out his hand an said howdy I'm Ronnie Hawkins. We talked about the ice for a bit said goodbye to Kris as he had to go. Then Ronnie said to me "you had better come in so Wanda can fix you a drink " Wanda being his wife.
To get into the house he took through the garage, there sat his antique Rolls Royce, late model Cadillac, and the first Dooley pickup I had ever seen. We went to the living room and there Rick Danko, Levon Helms, Robbie Robertson and two others but I forget their names.we all sat there for hours drinking tea, really tea that Wanda kept making,all the while Ronnie was talking about the home he was going to buy on Stoney Lake, and showing all of us pictures of it, he was particularly excited about the heated marble massage table and Wanda asking who is going to give you a massage, I'm knot she kept saying. After that night we became friends.
He would perform every year at the CNE at what I would call the Carlsberg beer tent, and he would correct me every time I said it, he would calmly say no it was the Carlsberg Pavilion but as he sat with the band and other entertainers he would always invite my wife and I to set at his table and buy us a beer.
After he moved to Stoney Lake and I got too busy to go to the CNE we lost touch until one day I seen an add in the Oakville Paper saying Ronnie Hawkins would be signing autographs at Emerald Kitchens starting at 1pm. Now my tire shop was right next door so on the day he was to be there I went over at about a quarter to one.
Now we had not seen each other for ten years or more, so I walked up to the desk he was at and said Ronnie Hawkins, he looked at me and in his Southern Drawl said I haven't seen you since the cows come home, have you been in jail? I said no and we had a laugh then had a good talk until people started to come in so we said our goodbyes and said we would call each other later but we haven't.

Very cool! I loved the last waltz! You can tell from the movie he was a decent regular down home type of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back