Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
My PT recommended a Headmaster collar. I did a search on this forum and also the reviews on Amazon, and feedback seems pretty mixed. They aren’t cheap — $100 or more. I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has had a great experience with them and recommends this type of collar.

I saw “Shanes brace” mentioned, and that looks like a good collar, but apparently they’re no longer available?

I’ve tried a foam style collar and found it a bit confining and not comfortable. I know there are different styles.

Thoughts?

I did find out that Maris Health apparently took over Shane’s brace, and offers the “Nbrace”. Does anyone here know anything about that?

We tried them all, for time in the sling. In the wheelchair, when stopped, used tilt/recline instead with a small foam pillow on top of the headrest. Shane's was shabbily made, i.e. not durable. My memory is that it fell apart before it got a full test. YMMV.

A foam collar can work if you get the right height -- a 1/2 inch makes a big difference -- and the right density -- we ended up at medium, along with a black foam "bed" collar for going out in the wheelchair (foam in front and not back).

Headmaster, Aspen, all the more structured plastic ones are going to be a matter of preference; Larry did not tolerate them. I don't think you can know that in advance.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
My husband used the Aspen collar for a while and was fairly comfortable with that initially. As he had more loss of the neck muscles with increased flexion and lateral tilt of the neck, it became too uncomfortable to wear the Aspen collar. We then switched to a wheelchair headrest that curved and provided lateral support for his tilted head. This, in combination with a slight recline to the back of his chair, is working pretty well for him as far as neck comfort. The only problem is that when the chair back is reclined even a small amount he tends to aspirate his saliva and has coughing episodes, even though he is on 3 medications for excessive saliva. I spend a lot of the day changing the position of the back of his chair-- slightly reclined to relieve neck pain then upright when he is coughing.

Sharon

I did not enjoy the headmaster collar. I'll happily send you mine if you want to PM your address!

Thanks Nona. We went ahead and ordered something with a similar design. What collar ended up working for you?

The offer stands, it's just sitting in my closet. My situation is more complicated now that I'm using head controls and I can't drive with anything on. But for therapeutic purposes I wear the Body Sport TracCollar, which has two inflatable sections so I can stretch one side or the other. My PT found it on Amazon and she recommended thirty minutes, three times a day. I can't be alone though because I can't cough with it on. If I just need support in my chair and I'm not going anywhere, I use a memory foam travel pillow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back