ALS News Today report on Gamma Oryzanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I view treatments for ALS as divided into two categories: treatments that target causes that that trigger ALS (such as gene therapy) and treatments that slow down decay of the neurons. The first category might be curative. The rice bran oil compound would be in the second category — not a cure, but helpful.

The research is interesting. They looked at a model for ALS in fruit flies that had a gene mutation known to cause some cases of ALS in people. The rice bran oil compound helped protect neurons from decay by reducing oxidative stress.

How this translates to humans remains to be determined. It would be nice to think that eating an extremely healthy diet may help ALS, and perhaps it does. Or it may be that such a compound would have to be administered in extremely high doses to show any benefit at all, and benefits may be small such as is the case with Riluzole. Like so many other therapies that are in the early research stage, stay tuned...

Karen, I agree with your comments. After reading this I looked online and Gamma Oryzanol is available in pill form and rice bran oil which contains Gamma Oryzanol. There is no information given in regards to a dose but like anything else supplement wise that might be beneficial, it wouldn't hurt to try it. It is also inexpensive. One thing I wonder about, the article states that this might be beneficial to hereditary forms of ALS, Parkinson's and other neurodegenerative diseases. Would "other neurodegenerative diseases" include sporadic ALS?

Would "other neurodegenerative diseases" include sporadic ALS?
Yes. But as with most nutritional supplements, just know they have not been completely studied or proven.

like anything else supplement wise that might be beneficial, it wouldn't hurt to try it.
You should always consult your doctor, as that's not quite true. Something labelled a supplement doesn't mean it can't hurt to try as medications can interact unfavourably with many supplements. Remember 'may' is just a way of saying, we don't know. I'm not saying don't try this, just cautioning against people grabbing a whole bunch of supplements and taking them without consideration.

Unfortunately, ALS, MS and many other CNS disorders have a dismal record of translating therapeutic efficacy from animal models.

Apart from that caveat, I will push back on the idea that it "doesn't hurt to try" any supplement. Supplements often interact with rx drugs, food, and with each other. They take energy, of which PALS are often in short supply, to metabolize, which can be depleting physically but also cause or worsen GI issues, an argument for start low, go slow. And we have plenty of evidence that any antioxidant, just as any other compound type, has a toxicity threshold with excessive intake.

Remember when vitamin E was going to be the answer to preventing lung cancer? Now, we find that too much vitamin E is associated with lung cancer incidence and metastasis, with no preventive effects.

All that is not to say, not to try, but to be wise. Always check a new supplement or drug against what you already take and your other health issues. Of note, gamma oryzanol's listing includes concern about exacerbating hypothyroidism, based on limited research, so close monitoring would be suggested.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back