01/2016
Country
Uni
State
Pa
City
Elkins Park
hello,

This is the first time I've joined any type of forum and from what I've read i feel this is a good place to start to get help to the zillions of questions i have about this new life and maybe my journey will help someone else cope.

I'm a 45 year old woman diagnosis with ALS in January of this year. My symptoms started a year before my diagnosis, almost to the day. i started walking with a limp a very painful one at that. I hate to admit i was embarrassed and very self conscious about it. I was working full time for a finance company and every day on my lunch hour i would go the gym but that my stamina wasn't what it used to be, I noticed i started to scale back on my work outs instead of going to full body work out classes i would ride the elliptical, to the recumbent bike(site down bike). Then in a very short time i stopped bringing my gym bag out the house because i noticed my body wasn't able to handle any sort of work out.

I then decided to see a neurologist whom told me i have diabetic neuropathy and my symptoms would get worse and i should get used to it. I saw about 3 other neurologist and was given an MRI that showed bulging disc in my back and if i get the surgery i would walk out of the hospital good a new. I okayed the surgery and needless to say the surgery didn't t fix my symptoms.

Finally I was directed to Dr,Patters(ALS) doctor that gave me and my family the worse news I've ever received.

A year ago i was walking with a limp and cane and on Monday of this week my electric wheelchair was delivered.(blessing) This week was the first time in over 6 months was i able to make my own morning tea, and bring my boyfriend his coffee.

I've lost almost all ability to walk, i do not have any balance to stand on my own and now i feel the weakness in my right arm, its hard to grip things and write. Through all of this i have noticed that i appreciate the small things in life and my loves one seems to have a better out look on life. We appreciate everything now.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Be well everyone.

Re: Trying to Adjust

Welcome to our family, I'm sorry you are joining us indeed. You will find a lot of support here xx

Re: Trying to Adjust

Hi and welcome. Feel free to vent here or ask questions anytime. You will find a lot of knowledge, comfort and support here. You have a great outlook on life and this will help you tremendously throughout this journey.

Sharon

Hello and welcome here.

There is so much support and advice here, I'm glad you have found us.

welcome to the forum. you will have tons of questions during the coming months and years. recommend getting familiar with the "stickies" and remember, no question or concern is too great or too small.

Welcome to the forum. I am also lady in her 40s with ALS. Stay Strong.

Hello Iamstillme214. Sorry to hear you have had to join this club, it is a club we all would rather have not had to join, but life threw us an illness leaving us feeling devastated and a future paved with increasing challenges.
I am still fairly new to this forum, I was dx in November 2015. Since that time, my body has been on a steady decline downward with muscle weakness and loss of coordination and mobility. I refer to it as mourning periodic losses of body function and it is difficult to do everyday tasks of just living. This forum is full of many knowledgeable PALS and CALS who have been where we are headed and graciously share their experiences and tribulations to help others. Sometimes we as PALS need the help and support, and other times we can give out the help and support to others. Welcome to this forum and not a club any of us really want to belong to, but because ALS has entered our lives, it is probably the best forum to belong to on the web. I encourage PALS to check out local ALS support groups (we have one in our city sponsored by the ALS Society of NB / NS ) and for me, it has answered many questions and comforting to know there are others going through this journey at the same time I am - you are.

Hi and welcome. Sorry you have to be here. There is a lot of info and support to be found.

Welcome to our family. I'm so sorry that you've had to join us, but you will find a great deal of information and support here.

Becky

Welcome. Stay strong

This forum will be very useful for you, and the CALS and PALS are always helpful in answering any questions you may have. Hang in there. I wish you all the best.

Hugs,
Deb

Hello and welcome to our club, you will receive so much love and support here. God bless, luv Gem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back