Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
Here’s an interesting question. I had my wheelchair fitting/consult a week ago. Went great and they helped me choose the Permobil F5 VS. Should get it in November.

Now we find out, due to DH’s company being bought up, they will be switching carries - from BCBS to Aetna in January.

I’ve seen here that sometimes people opt to have different chairs. Why? And would I be eligible for another chair by the new carrier? Hmm.

Not sure if you’d be eligible for a second chair by a new insurance carrier— you could check.
I believe Medicare will pay for a new chair every 5 years if you get documentation that you need different features from what is on your first chair or if your first chair dies. Again, there needs to be paperwork to justify them paying for it.

As far as having more than one chair — it’s nice to have a backup if your primary chair fails or is in the shop. Some people get a second chair for different purposes than their primary chair, e.g. four-wheel drive for off-road use or if you ride outside in a snowy area. Another reason some people might want a second chair is if they fly a lot. In that case, the second chair can be a little more of a beater in case anything happens to it.

Due to cost and insurance restrictions, most folks have just one chair.

Some people buy a second chair used (or new) and pay out of pocket for it.

I got lucky and was given a chair (Quantum) by a generous ALS widow. I use it as my backup chair. I took it on vacation when I rented a house. I’m glad I did because it’s a tad smaller than my Permobil F5 which probably wouldn’t have fit in the elevator of the rental house and might have scraped up the threshold of the rental (or not cleared the threshold) due to the low ground clearance from the Qstraint plate under the chair. My Quantum has better ground clearance even though I like the F5 better overall.

I think it is unlikely that a switch in insurance carrier will make you eligible for a second insurance-provided wheelchair. There is no harm in checking with them, but I don't think you will be successful. Be careful that you don't wind up having to pay out of pocket for the entire amount of the second wheelchair.

I am a firm believer in having more than one wheelchair. I have found that wheelchairs are prone to failure, and when they fail, they sometimes have to go to the repair shop for an extended period. For example, my primary wheelchair (a Permobil C500s VS) has spent as much as 9 months out of commission while waiting for diagnosis, parts, and repairs.

I can't be without a wheelchair. After doing a lot of research, I decided to buy a used wheelchair as a backup after my primary wheelchair had its first extended stay at the wheelchair repair place (only about a month without, but that was enough).

I now have 5 wheelchairs in my fleet. I either need to stop buying wheelchairs or start looking for a larger house!

Steve

Yes having more than one if possible is a good idea. For instance one that with time has proved not so comfy but with electric power for outdoors and one really comfy that reclines for inside. Plus as stated by other members it will reduce the risk of being stuck if a problem arises. If you can manage it go for it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back