Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
US
State
Idaho
City
Leadore
I have had restless leg syndrome for several years now. Actually longer than my diagnosis with ALS. Several nights now, my leg cramps and draws up almost to my chest! My husband has to massage it to get it straightened out again. I don’t know if this is an ALS thing or restless leg. It hurts so bad that I’m almost in tears. If ALS, do any of you have suggestions?

My PALS also has problems with cramping and fasciculations. I have several of those packs that contains seeds or something, that you can put in the microwave. I put them on his legs, or wherever he is having problems. The warmth definitely helps calm things down so he can get some sleep. I hope that helps you.
Kathy

My PALS also has problems with cramping and fasciculations. I have several of those packs that contains seeds or something, that you can put in the microwave. I put them on his legs, or wherever he is having problems. The warmth definitely helps calm things down so he can get some sleep. I hope that helps you.
Kathy
Thanks, Kathy, that is a good possibility. I will definitely try that out!

Is it a cramp or spasticity? I have had excellent luck with magnesium for cramps. Others say pickle juice, mustard and tonic water. Mexilitine is a cardiac med that has been shown effective for cramps. Spasticity would be different

Are you on an RLS drug? There are several classes of drugs that can improve symptoms, so you should be able to find something that works with your other drugs.

Laurie, I’m sorry, but I don’t know what an RLS drug stands for. I should, I guess.

Laurie, I’m an idiot! Should have figured that out without asking, I take gabepenten but it doesn’t help much, I tried repinerole but was almost allergic by vomiting the two days I started it. I take Tramadol before bed and normally it helps, but the last two nights it is a totally different cramping. It’s like the leg locks in and I can’t move it or straighten it out. When I was first diagnosed I read a lot. Articles indicated that ALS was not a painful disease, but if this is directly a cause of this disease, I can feel that those articles are not complete

My body says "you should stretch your legs, they are tight " My ALS brain says hell no, if you do you will get a severe muscle cramp that will require you stand up to stop it.

Then I will have a bathroom stop with a 2 hour chair sit.

Don't Stretch ! But I do it anyway because it is my disease and I am going to take it on head to head.

Now I feel better

Cramps and spasticity are two different things. Baclofen is usually prescribed for spasticity.

The drug of choice for cramp fasciculation syndrome, per my ALS neuro, is Valium. I use a combination of magnesium, CBD oil, THC cream, and Valium for cramps. Heat and gentle massage helps me, too.

I have had very disturbing restless leg syndrome for years like yourself and I have found relief from a product called CALM can be bought in the drugstore or a health food store, and it works within hours of taking it. I take one level tea spoon before bed and that works well.
Al

Thanks, Al. I will definitely give that a try! I am currently taking 200mg of tramadol every night just to be able to sleep!
With this ALS, I don’t worry about this becoming a problem with becoming addicted, lol, but it is a problem with constipation and other things. I’m assuming that if you are taking this by teaspoon, that I can take it through my feeding tube

Yes definitely, that is how I take it, along with my other meds. Through my feeding tube.No problem at all. It will help with constipation too.
Al

Last edited:
Thank you for posting that question - and for all of the responses and great ideas! I take Baclofen - but sometimes it doesn't work. It drives me absolutely crazy! I am so tired buy my leg(s) won't listen.

~Christine

I foundCalm on Amazon. Can’t wait until it arrives! I belong to a support group for ALS and no one in that group has any pain. Normally I can ask a question and get several solutions. This group is wonderful!

Hi everyone! When my legs get really crampy and my Baclofen doesn't work - I have a list of leg exercises that I do. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Has anyone had cramps in their arms? i had it one night and went 'what the heck is THIS??!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back