ptich

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
California
City
Mountain View
It seems that disproprotionate number of males on this forum are of 43 years, or close.

I think the current prevailing wisdom is that probability of ALS is growing with age, up to 70. But looks like there is a visible spike for males around age 43. I am wondering if it is a distinctive subtype of ALS.

pitch

you are correct pitch, the age in als/pls for m/f has dropped from the age of onset being at least 50yrs to 40yrs. i know a lot with onset around late 30's to 40yrs m/f.
but survival rate is much higher than it has ever been and pals are living longer, we just need that cure.
take care
caroline:-D

It is not only that the average age of onset has dropped. It used to be thought that probability of getting ALS grows monotoneously with age until age of 70-75; apparently it is not true any more either: there seem to be more males with ALS aged 43 that, let's say, 50. It seems like a spike around 43. I am curious if my observations are correct.

pitch

there are also some females on this forum around 40yrs so i dont think its just a male thing, or are you a typical man looking at it through a mans view lol:-D
take care
caroline

I think it might also have something to do with younger people (that is, people in their 30's and 40's) use the internet and older people don't. I still think the average age of onset is the same in everything that I have seen.

so if mid 40's is the average age. how many are in there earlie 30's myself am only 29 so how likely is it to happen to someone my age?

mjk-

There was a guy at our ALS Clinic diagnosed at age of 27 last year. I would think this is a rare occurrence.

I thought my husband was young to have ALS, as he was diagnosed at age 47.

mjk-

There was a guy at our ALS Clinic diagnosed at age of 27 last year. I would think this is a rare occurrence.

I thought my husband was young to have ALS, as he was diagnosed at age 47.

thanks because i was reading something were it said they have found it in young children. but now there seeing it more in people in the 20's and 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back