Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Peabody
Hi Everybody! Here’s my story and would LOVE your take on my symptoms. At this point I’m extremely worried and can’t look at my kids without crying. I’m trying so hard not to panic but when your facing a possible disease like ALS it’s really hard to stay calm.

Anyways, 2 years ago I developed some shaking of my left hand, difficulty maneuvering items in it but only when I was attempting fine motor movements. Raw strength was ok but i always feel like my left hand is my WEAK HAND and have trouble doing things like opening cans with it and picking up small items with it. My Neuro at the time called it a “focal dystonia” and ordered an EMG to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome. She was adamant it was NOT ALS though and so I went on my merry way. I ended up missing my EMG because my 2 year old son got pneumonia and now I am kicking myself for not rescheduling it!

Fast forward almost 2 years and my left hand is still shaky and slightly weak but no worse than when I first had it checked 2 years ago. However, approximately 1 month ago I developed this tingling sensation in my legs every time I laid down or sat down. It was like an internal vibration/tremor that could be felt but not seen. When I’d try to walk I’d feel like my legs were shaky and could give out at any moment. The vibrating feeling got a little better (but is still there when i stop moving) but I now have mild weakness in one leg, the left, the same side as my weak hand. If i lay on my back i can raise my right leg just fine but when i raise my left leg it shakes and feels much weaker than the right leg.

My primary care doctor checked all my labs and everything was fine. Referred me to the neurologist again and I am now waiting on an appointment with her. What do you all think? I’m terrified, scared, and praying and hoping it’s not ALS. Any input would be great. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people have a weaker hand and yours never progressed, so it has no relevance this far out.

The neuro may want to do an MRI to rule out spine damage that could affect your leg(s), but I don't see any resemblance to ALS and have no idea why you do. Your story suggests looking at your mattress and pillow, if no longer up to the job, for possible replacement, maybe some stretching in the morning, massage, etc.

Best,
Laurie

I am worried about ALS because I have weakness in one limb along with occasional twitching in that limb. I feel like my left leg is fatigued even when i haven’t exerted any energy using it. The twitching isn’t limited to the legs, I occasionally get them in my abdomen and eyelids as well.

As you should know if you read the read before posting thread at the top of this subforum twitching is meaningless.

feeling weak, vibration feeling and tremor all point away from ALS

let us know what the neuro says but agree with Laurie it doesn’t sound like ALS

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate the input. Not to be a pain but do you both have any ideas on what kinds of conditions would cause weakness and shakiness in one’s arm and leg (on the same side) ?

This is not a general health forum. Please work with your doctor on that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back