Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MI
Greetings:

First, I would like to thank those of you who respond to this post in advance. Anxiety is a terrible thing and it is difficult sometimes to accept reality under anxious terms.

I am a 31-year-old male who currently lives in Michigan. In June, I began to have odd, periodic sensations in my hands and feet which eventually turned into a burning feeling. At the end of June, this symptom disappeared and I had no problems for several days.

In early-July, I noticed (visually and could feel) my calf muscle on my right leg had begun to twitch. I initially wrote this off, thinking it was a normal, stress-related twitch. At this point in my life, stress was at an all-time high and I was having some health anxiety related to the burning sensations that had subsided days earlier. I am not normally an anxious person but I was in between insurance plans at the time and not knowing if I was deferring something really serious or time-critical flipped on an "anxiety" switch.

On with my issue, the twitching did not go away and instead became more widespread and started to impact both sides of my body. I have since twitched in every muscle on my body including my eyelid, cheek and the side of my chest (very weird when this happens). Concerned, I consulted Google and one of the first results that appeared was an article on ALS. I was a bit surprised because I was not expecting such a simple symptom to be cause for such great concern. I also learned about BFS as well.

Since then, I have felt weird sensations in different limbs, floaters in my left eye, periodic muscle stiffness, random areas of muscle pain, myclonic jerks while drifting off to sleep and have a perception of muscle weakness but can still perform all of the tasks I'm used to performing. I did see a doctor at an Urgent Care Facility who said I have brisk reflexes on both sides of my body and recommended that I see a Neurologist. I have since scheduled an appointment with a Neurologist but until then I am feeling overwhelmed with thoughts related to ALS even though I know most of my symptoms point to other conditions.

I have some questions:

1. Is the twitching that occurs with ALS constant? Does it only occur while at rest or in a relaxed position? Do the frequency of muscle twitches ever decline (for example, one day there may be no twitching whereas the next there is a tremendous amount of twitching)? Does the muscle twitching occur shortly after waking up or happen even while sleeping? Does Magnesium help those with ALS control their twitches?

2. Prior to losing muscle functionality, are there any sensations that could be felt in the affected muscle?

3. Does twitching always occur after muscle weakness in ALS?

4. I know each person is different but generally speaking, how long is the onset of an initial symptom (if not muscle weakness) and muscle weakness? Is it days, months or years?

Many people have suggested that stress and anxiety are causing the symptoms I am dealing with. It is confusing to me that almost 5 months have elapsed and I am still experiencing muscle twitching daily. I have removed all of the stress and anxiety from my life and at present, this is the only thing causing me any stress and anxiety. Which, if it is indeed the issue, I can see how this could be a difficult cycle to break.

Last but not least, this experience has taught me a lot about those with medical conditions you can't see or know little about. I have a deep respect for those who suffer from ALS and their families. I feel somewhat bad for posting this, there are people out there dealing with things that are much worse than anything I am encountering at the present moment. Thanks again for answering my questions and may God bless you all.

Jordie88

I think this will answer many of your questions: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Anxiety makes twitching worse. It doesn’t matter how much you twitch or where you twitch or whether or not the muscle is relaxed. Hyperactive reflexes can be a normal variant. Pain, burning, and other “odd sensations” point away from ALS.

In summary, I don’t see ALS in your post.

Try a couple of drops of magnesium lotion on the worst spot, just because a lot of people are deficient and it doesn't always show up in blood work, like other electrolytes. You might also ask about a sleep study. If twitching is impairing your sleep at night (which can be a symptoms of specific sleep disorders or just signaling your hydration or diet is not quite right), it is affecting your feelings during the day. Like Karen, though, I see no reason for concern re ALS.

Thank you for answering my questions. I have so much more respect for each and everyone of you.

1. I had a clean EMG of my right arm and leg and I am extremely thankful for this. Would this have detected abnormalities on my left side and/or Bulbar areas? I'm confused because I have read a lot which implies it wouldn't but then read articles written that imply it would.

2. For those of you with Bulbar Onset, was slurring of the words usually the symptom most of you experienced that indicated something wasn't right? Did muscle twitching come before this?

Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod note, merged threads. Jordie, please keep posting in this one to keep all posts together. It helps members to see all the information in one place.

1) Yes.

2) We are not going to discuss ALS progression here, because you don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back