37 year old mom scared my symptoms are ALS. Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kss1130

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
Good morning, I have been reading threads on this forum for weeks now because I’ve been worried sick my symptoms are ALS. I have tried to resist posting, but I’m at my breaking point and thought I would give it a shot to get your opinions. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond, my thoughts are with all of you that have this disease, or are taking care of something that does. I have read the before you post, and still am very concerned. Here is what I have going on:

I was throwing the ball with my 5 year old son in the yard a few weeks ago when I noticed I kept throwing the ball really low or really high. Something just felt off, throwing all over the place. (I played softball for years so I have always been able to throw). I also am a hypochondriac about my health (major health anxiety) I must add. So I came inside and started googling, while using my phone I noticed my thumb felt very weak and shaky on the same hand I throw with (right). ALS popped up and I had panic attacks every day for 2 weeks worrying that this is what I have.

I went to my primary care and had blood work done, the only thing off was low platelets, which are now up to a normal level. I had a brain and upper spine MRI which all came back normal. I am waiting to see a neurologist (5 more weeks). The past few weeks I have experienced body twitches all over- really bad in both feet, in the arches.

The twitching is worse when I’m at rest. I work at a computer 8 hours a day, and have done that for 15 years. I have also lost about 9 lbs..(132, now weighing 123). My right hand feels very weak, but I can still do my day to day activities. I keep thinking back now to the past few months leading up to this. I have been lifting up my 2 year old daughter holding my right hand different. I noticed I always hold my thumb clinched under the rest of my fingers. I just use the right hand different. Not necessarily weak, but using it different. I have always experienced charley horses in my calves and feet, this summer I got a bad one in my left rib…

Does anyone have any insight on this? Could this be the start of ALS? I am hoping to get an EMG when I see the neurologist. The waiting game is so hard!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry you're going through this and have little ones. If you've always had cramps in your legs, it might be a hydration issue. Have you tried adding 400-800 mg. of magnesium daily? Have you tried eliminating caffeine?

I know how hard it is to wait but nobody on here is a substitute for a doctor's exam. If you have a good neurologist, she (he) will find out a lot during the clinical exam. If an EMG is needed, you will receive it.

For now maybe just drink lots of water, meditate, and get plenty of restful sleep. I know with children it's easier said than done. If possible, get a massage to help you relax.

Thank you for the reply..i'm going to try the magnesium, and eliminating coffee. I haven't done that yet. Does any of this sound like ALS symptoms to you?

It doesn't but nobody here is a doctor so I would encourage you to follow your neurologist's lead as to what testing is necessary. If the neurologist gives you an "all clear" and you still aren't feeling well, go back to your GP.

Just work on your health while you wait.
Twitching means nothing, but you have seen us say that constantly.
All the best.

The simplest explanation is that the years of computer work and handling your kids have tweaked your thumb/hand. I don't see any reason to worry about ALS. Since you acknowledge anxiety, weight loss is quite possibly more associated with that/lifestyle than the hand thing. Hydration and electrolytes are important in summer, esp. with two active kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back