Not open for further replies.

JLBPRB

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I have told myself over and over that I wouldn't let the anxiety get to me and post here but here I am. I have read the "read before posting" thread at least 50 times the past few days. With that said in the past week I have become absolutely mortified that I have ALS.

Here is some background about why I'm here:
  1. The first medical issue I can recall is that back in Nov 2021, I passed out in the operating room while my wife was having a c-section. I didn't really think too much of it other than me just being overwhelmed by all that was going on around me.
  2. A couple of months ago I began to notice some tingling in my left arm that would kind of come and go. It wasn't too bad or didnt happen that often so I wasn't overly concerned.
  3. I had continued to have a few episodes of dizziness and lightheadedness since last November but it wasn't anything too serious at all until 3 weeks ago when I got extremely lightheaded and nauseous and had to sit down for several minutes to avoid passing out. Since that time I have dealt with several dizzy spells daily that come and go. This is what initially started me down the Dr. Google Rabbit Hole.
  4. After this I began to notice more severe numbing and tingling in my left hand that extended all the way up my arm. This caused me enough alarm combined with my wife's nudging that I finally made an appointment with my Doctor. I went to that appointment and he didn't really evaluate me too much but I discussed my symptoms with him and he did some blood work that ruled out anemia and diabetes, etc..
  5. Since that appointment last week I have started dealing with some anxiety, mainly from Dr. Google which led me here. I have also dealt with numbness , tingling and difficulty moving both my left and right hand. I have also noticed some numbness in my legs now and sometimes my feet and hands will get either a warm or cold feeling in them.
I hope to get a few responses but honestly after typing that I feel better. I know the read before posting section should have answered my questions yet here I am.

Hope you all have a great day!

Hello-

Not one thing you've listed is associated with ALS. The Read Before post outlines this pretty clearly. Please make sure to read it as many times as you need if you have any doubts again.

Take care

I'm so sorry, I'm totally confused.
You read the READ BEFORE POSTING at least 50 times, and even though not one single thing you are experiencing is in there you are posting and not even asking a direct question?

I guess you are asking, could any of that be ALS, I can feel quite comfortable stating not at all.

You need to work with your doctor, and you need to stay away from here and google because you are not understanding anything you read which is causing you a huge amount of needless anxiety.

I appreciate your replies. I came here just because it felt good to discuss some of the things going on. I just wanted to kind of provide an update. This morning I became extremely dizzy and my face and mouth was very numb so I went in to the doctor. That felt good because at least I'm taking a first step and they were able to rule out stroke etc.. The do want me to have a Brain MRI early next week and if that comes back clear the doctor mentioned a neurologist. The doc said the neurologist could look for other things like ALS etc.. that freaked me out a little bit but I do believe he said that because I mentioned it to him earlier during the visit.

I do believe I failed to mention a couple of symptoms on the first post, the first was the numbness in my face/mouth. And the other is that my right calf has started feeling very tight and some twitching has started taking place in that calf and I have also noticed some in my shoulders. My question, is the tightness in the calf something that should be of a concern with ALS? The twitching hasn't concerned me because it could be so much other stuff (Anxiety being a huge cause). I also believe I read that the vertigo/dizziness would point away from ALS. Am I making that up?

Anyway, I'm sorry to keep bothering everyone on here and I appreciate all of y'all that post your replies in these threads.

Hello-

Please keep rereading the "Read Before". It does explain the purpose of this forum and provides a whole bunch of information about ALS, including why your symptoms do not indicate motor neuron disease. It's clear you're focused on ALS, despite your not showing a symptom pattern that would be of concern (per the link). Please understand you are asking people here to repeat the same things that you will have read in the "Read Before post.

Keep working with your doctors to track down the trouble, but there is no need to post here.

Take care

Thanks for more information - you really need to stay away from here as you have not a single ALS symptom and I think you know already how powerfully your brain is taking you in circles back to ALS constantly, even though you know logically that you don't match any symptoms.
When you start asking about this with doctors, you can cause the correct diagnosis to take so much longer because you try to sway the direction of things by asking about this.

You truly do not have ALS symptoms, but what is happening is sure concerning, so please work openly with your doctor and NOT the internet. You don't belong here in the least, so as suggested, you don't need to reply, just go take care of yourself.

A new baby (congrats!) can lead to things like irregular eating/drinking/sleep, not to mention stress. That you may have an exaggerated biological stress response is supported by your fainting in the OR. While you are waiting for the MRI/neuro appointment, try to focus on the things that you control, because the odds that nothing serious at all is going on are still very much in your favor, and ALS isn't in the picture.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back