Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Hi,

I am an active 35 year old male. About a year ago I was playing tennis 4 nights a week or more. I began noticing that the CMC joint (the joint of the thumb where it meets the thenar muscle in the palm) in my right thumb (I'm right handed) was swollen and painful and it seemed as though the bulging bone was 50% larger in size than my left hand. IT was very bothersome. As the next several months went on- I would be using my hand fine- not "weakness" per se, but the bone joint continued to hurt on and off. During this time I also was thumb texting on my cell phone religiously and had some issues to where I had to switch up my mouse on my computer at work (I work at a computer 8-10 hours a day typing and mousing) to my left hand so i wouldn't have to use my right because of the sorenes/pain in the CMC joint. Recently though, I've noticed tangible atrophy in my right hand- thenar AND hypothenar muscles. The consistency of the muscles is somewhat softer and mushier than my non-dominant left-hand. I've also been noticing some twitching all over my body- and I have been under a lot of stress. I have historically had problems swalloing- since my teens and believe I also suffer from Diffuse Esophageal Spasms with simultaneous dysphagia.

One other thing of note- I had a very very bad break of my right leg 3 years ago and was in a cast for 5-6 months. I never really ran the full course of Physical therapy, and thus my muscles in my right leg remained atrophied. There is an explanation for the leg atrophy- but NO apparent explanation for the thenar/hypothenar wasting. Very concerned about it. Again I don't "feel" any weakness per se, and haven't noticed any dropping, difficulty in twisting lids (except when the pain in my thumb's CMC joint makes it difficult). What the heck else could cause hand atrophy?

Please help. and Thank you kindly. Feel free to ask any questions that would be pertinent.

also, my son was in the ER last night for something that was mild, and I had an ER doctor look at and feel my hand, and he definitiely said there was atrophy.

Sorry folks, a couple more symptoms- I've been getting heart palpitations maybe 6-12 a day- mainly when lying down like a beat or two skip. I've had an EKG and they said it was textbook a month ago. Also, the vertebrae in my spine are very sore to the press. My wife presses on each one and they are painful, especially the particular vertebrae where my Diffuse Esophageal Spasms seem to originate from. I know these aren't als-related but full disclosure is good. Thanks for being patient.

Additionally, when I flex my hand muscles the "atrophied" hand's muscles are definitely softer and not as hard/tense in a flexed state as my left... does this constitute weakness?

My recommendation to you is: get seen by your primary care physician and see if he/she sees anything that warrants a referral. If your primary care physician refers you to a neurologist, keep the neuro appointment and come back if the neuro tells you that motor neuron disease is on the radar for you. Until that time, there really isn't much for us to discuss with you.

Good luck.

May I ask where the medical jargon has come from? Have you been oo gl ing? My best advice is to stay away from doc tor go og le. Make the appointment with your GP and come back when you have more information.

Also, its helpful to read the stickies above. And if you are oo gl ing try B F S for the "twi tching". One particular stickie is the 1 about anxiety. You have already mentioned it, stress and then the heart palpitations. Please read.

Good luck to you,

Thanks for the initial responses all. and Yes, I have been guity of seeing Dr. G.

I do have an appt. with a neuro tomorrow afternoon. Hope to see a good report God-willing.

thank you for the responses. I have an appt. with a neuro tomorrow afternoon. God-willing it will be nothing but good news.

Let us know how things go Travis. Good luck.
Laurel

Praise Jesus- EMG came back normal. Still am very curious about the atrophy in the hand. Neuro said she saw some slower reflexes in my ulnar nerve- indicative of some nerve compression, but other than that- all clean. I believe as Wright would say Clean EMG=NO ALS. I am thankful indeed.

Curious too about the audio portion of the needle testing. When my muscled were relaxed with the needle in them (foot, ankle, thigh, thumb, arm, shoulder) everything was about perfectly silent, then when I flexed the muscle at the neuro's request- major static). Is the silence during rest a way for a layman to tell if the result is going to be clean?

Laymen should listen to their test results as interpreted by their doctors and not try to play juvenile guessing games with partial information.

Congratulations on your clean EMG.

Good to hear that you had a clean EMG, that NEVER happened for me, even well before any problems were noted in the newer areas tested.

Since your joint was hurting and you started favoring it, some of the problem may be that you haven't been using it...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back