33 yo female (and neuroscientist) - could be ALS, could be cervical compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you for getting your PhD in such a fascinating area! That's a whole lot of work and a very, very long road. I'm finishing my masters and am exhausted. I cannot imagine following with another 3-5 years of school.

As for your symptoms, I have no idea what is going on with you, but from how my husband's symptoms started, and every other person with ALS' symptoms started, yours are not it. Period.

Honestly, please take your mind off ALS because it really and truly does not start out the way your symptoms are starting. Keep working with your docs and please update the forum when you get an official diagnosis for whatever is happening.

Good luck and take good care.

Thank you for your lovely reply. I really appreciate it.

I'll be back if it is, and in the meantime I'll just keep on learning.

Oh no, somebody who understands medical terminology. Worse yet, you know some neurology. This makes you at incredibly high risk for hypochondria. However, not specifically ALS. This makes you hyper aware of lots of terrible conditions. This is what causes you to jump from twitching ( which 70%of normally healthy people have) and immediately jump to the absolute worst possible diagnosis. Even to the point of asking random strangers, most of whom have no medical background, to diagnose you with a terminal disease over the internet. Think about that, and if you are worried still, see a doctor. And stop hanging out here. It just feeds your anxiety.

For both of the PALS in my life, past and present the EMG yelled the tale. I realize this is not always so by any means.
Best of all with this, anxiety is a hard hard thing.

You're using "weakness" in a wide-ranging fashion, when, as you know, clinical weakness is not synonymous with perceived weakness. And what you describe continues not to accord with ALS onset as we are familiar with it.

What were the results of the upper extremity study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back