Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
Hi thank you to anyone who is reading this post, I appreciate any feedback or advice on the issues I've been having.

So I'd say for almost a month I've been having a persistent muscle twitch in my right (dominant) arm. It has been pretty constant and I notice it happening more when I'm at rest or when I'm using my phone or doing something with my hands. I also have had fasiculations in my calves/thighs as well that have also made me concerned. Same thing though, I feel them when I'm at rest. The twitches however do not keep me up at night and I'm able to sleep pretty soundly. I almost feel like my right arm may be a little stiff and sore at some points as well. I do lift weights but have recently taken a 2 week break in an effort to stop the twitches. The break from lifting didn't help much and I'm continuing to have fasiculations everyday.

I want to point out that my paternal grandfather had passed away from als when he was in his 50's I believe. He had 5 children to whom one is my father, and nobody had been diagnosed with als. One sibling however has MS currently. My father is 65 years old. I am worried that it's possible that I may have gotten a specific gene or inherited this disease.

I have not had any failures or falls of any kind. My legs have gotten a little bony I've noticed but I can still do everything I normally do.I do not ever workout legs and I can't tell if there's any atrophy there or not.I'm trying to ignore the twitches but it's hard because I can't stop thinking about the worst case scenario. I want to say that prior to the twitching starting I was training arms pretty vigorously. I have broken my toe so I was training my upper body multiple times a week prior to the muscle twitching starting.I was pushing myself to failure and doing multiple arm exercises for biceps and triceps. I was also consuming a great deal of protein in an attempt to build lean muscle.

I thought the twitches would go away after a day or so but the one in my arm has been here since I've stopped at the gym. I also noticed that when I press on the inside by my elbow it's pretty tender. Is it possible I could have nerve damage in my elbow which is causing my forearm to twitch? And the twitching in my legs may just be anxiety driven? I'm currently in a walking boot so I'm unable to run around like I normally do so the twitching is pretty noticeable.

I've had twitching in my legs before so I'm thinking it could be anxiety induced. But the constant forearm twitch in the same spot is concerning me more. I have no problem lifting my arms up or doing everyday things like turning a key or opening a jar. I just feel the twitch when I'm using my arm to hold things and type on the phone etc. if I'm walking or lifting weights I don't notice it until I'm at rest after.

If anyone has any insight or can offer an opinion I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm a soon to be father and I'm just so worried for the worst. Everyday the twitches remind me that it's possible to have this condition and it scares the hell out of me. I've went to my primary doctor and he barely acknowledged my concerns and just ordered blood work to rule out any deficiencies/conditions. Im trying to stay positive and hope that the fasiculations go away soon.
Thank you to whoever took the time to read this post.

Steve I'll just add this... you say you're soon to be a father. We've seen this
so many times before. Both 'soon to be' Dads and Moms. Please don't let
Health Anxiety creep in.

Others will reply to your symptoms and family history. Hope you find
the help and answers before the little one is born.

Thank you for your kind words I appreciate it Clearwater

Steve235.
Fasciculations are like shimmers under the skin. You can't feel them, but you can see them.
Spasms you can feel.
Rather than worry, you could try some methods to reduce them. There is an article on healthline,
9 Muscle Spasm Treatments.

I see no reason to worry about ALS, but why not see a doctor and find out if exercises on your own, PT to start you off, etc., might help, and I think you have figured out the possible roles of overtraining and dietary changes.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back