Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
BC
City
Newcastle
Hello everyone, I will keep this as short as possible.

for the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing aching in the joint between my thumb and index finger (on both hands) which has made it difficult to type at times on the computer at my job. My hands also seem to be uncharacteristically aching when holding light objects, such as cups and work files.

in addition, I’m getting occasional shooting pains in both of my arms and wrists, along with what feels like twitching on and off in my left upper arm. My left leg seems to be very tight ( the feeling you would typically get before the onset of cramp), but besides this I’ve had no issues with my legs (falling etc).

I must add that I am currently still able to go to the gym and do cardio/lift weights (I do this relatively regularly). I can button my shirt etc without issues; it is the aching/stiffness in my thumbs and aching of my hands when holding light objects which concerns me a bit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

One more thing I’d like to add... my hands have also been aching a lot when driving, so I’m having to regularly change their position whilst at the wheel.

Hi, have a read here: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

It covers such things as aching, etc. Sounds like you need to visit with a physio for a full assessment to see if there's some structural imbalance.

Thank you, I did read this and find it reassuring.

I’m hoping the aching between the thumb and index finger will subside, I’m a bit puzzled by the tightness in my hamstring/calves but I have an appointment scheduled for 9 March at my doctors.

Would you agree that at this stage there are no typical signs of early onset ALS?

Thank you very much, and apologies if this appears to be a waste of time. I appreciate many users here are suffering beyond comprehension, along with their families.

Definitely not symptoms of the onset of ALS.
That post you read is worth reading a couple of times as there is a lot of information in there and it is our official position.
You will notice that what you describe does not appear in there as being ALS.

Let us know after you see your doctor what they say. :)

That post you read is worth reading a couple of times as there is a lot of information in there and it is our official position.

Thank you very much for your advice 😊 I will give an update once I’ve seen my doctor in March

I’m truly sorry to post so soon again, I appreciate your advice greatly and understand there’s not much more you can advise me on.

I just wanted to add that, with my arm twitching in the upper left arm (tricep area) this is accompanied by a tight feeling in the tricep (the kind of feeling you would normally expect after lifting weights). This feeling has been with me for the majority of the last 2 weeks, although admittedly I’ve continued to lift weights twice each week during this time.

I’ve never really experienced this feeling over a sustained period of time before, and coupled with the tightness in my left hamstring and aching in my hand, I guess I’m letting my mind get the better of me. Largely due to the fact that, depending where you read online, cramping can be an early symptom.

The main thing I’m taking away is, as I’m experiencing no ‘failure’ or clinical weakness as far as I can see, I’m going to try to not worry unduly 😊

Thanks again for your time

Go back and read the post shiftkicker referred you to.
Twitching means nothing.
Please just wait and see your doctor, you have only had vague nondescript symptoms for a couple of weeks, that is not a sustained period of time really.
In the meantime you can concentrate on hydration, sleeping well, nutrition, healthy exercise, do things to help others, spend time with people you enjoy, try yoga, pilates or some other healthy activity. Stop reading anything more online about a rare terminal illness.
Let us know after you see a doctor, but until then, terminally ill people and their carers truly can't do anything more for you.

Hi, just thought I’d provide a brief update. Managed to get my appointment with my PCP moved to today. Since i first posted, the stiffness in my left leg has got worse and prevented me from playing football. I’ve also had persistent twitching in both calves.

He did strength tests and found no weakness in hands/arms, he also said he could see nothing worrying in my gait. He has referred me to a neurologist for peace of mind, but thinks there’s nothing sinister. The stiffness/heaviness behind my knee and calf (no pain) has been worrying me, along with the twitches, but it’s reassuring there’s no weakness.

I dont expect any response to this update, however I’d appreciate for this thread to remain open until I’ve seen the neurologist (around 5 weeks time)

thank you 😊

that's great - everything points away from ALS. Let us know the outcome for sure. :)

Hi again,

Given the current goings on in the world, my upcoming appointment at hospital to see the neuro has unfortunately been postponed. Although this is entirely understandable, it’s a bit frustrating.

Basically, since my last post the issue with my leg has persisted. It’s hard to explain in that I’ve got no classic function failure, however both my legs (behind my knees and calves) ache practically all day long. Im a pretty fit guy, but when I last attempted a 2 mile jog last Wednesday, my calves were so painful to even walk on for the next 3 or 4 days.

I don’t believe I have ALS (although I was hoping for reassurance from the neuro once he’d done a more thorough physical exam), but I do believe there’s something going on as I find myself unable to exercise as I usually would without significant leg pain afterwards. The stiffness and twitching is still there, although I pretty much ignore the twitching now.

Nobody needs to respond to this as I realise what both PALS and their carers have to deal with on a daily basis. I just wanted to continue to kindly ask for this thread to remain open until I’ve eventually been seen by the neuro. Many Thanks

Take care - remember we are under more pressure than ever here with our PALS being in the highest risk group for this virus.
You don't have ALS, every post just confirms that, so I hope you can stay calm now while you wait.

Hi again,

I’ve recently had further blood tests carried out which have revealed quite low iron levels ( my surgery stated they were at 26, not sure what this means). I do not, however, have anemia (red blood count is normal, and haemoglobin levels are high)

I’m not sure what could be causing my low iron level, as I eat meat and eggs regularly, but wondered if this could be the cause of my persistent arm and leg twitches / aching and stiffness in joints? I would’ve have asked my doctors on the phone, but it was the receptionist who rang me with the results.

This will be my last post on here for the foreseeable future. Thank you so much for your advice

We only support ALS here, it is not a general health forum - you need to take this all up with your doctor. All the best sorting your health issues out and getting back to full health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back