Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the EMG. I started having trouble with right arm weakness over a year ago and trouble with stairs about 9 months ago. My left arm went weak over 2 months ago and thats when I noticed the twitching followed by cramping. Neuro #1 checked me out - brisk reflexes, spreading weakness. Lots of blood work and an EMG that were all normal left me with a referral to an als clinic 3 weeks later. EMG and more blood work from Neuro #2 left nothing to diagnos. I'm losing weight which concerns me because I'm thin to begin with. I have major trouble getting out of bed, in and out of cars (very tight muscles in lower back). My gait has changed and I walk like my sister that has had MS for 20 years. Anyway, ALS clinic neuro says come back in 3 months and we'll have another look-see. How come my EMG reads normal? My guess is, the neuro wants to see me again in 3 months to see if EMG changes. At this point, there must be a plethora of things they've ruled out (but not telling me) with the MRI and blood work already done by 2 neuros. Nobody wants a diagnosed of ALS but shucky d a r n, tell me something!

Zaphoon, I undersand your frustration. We are in the same place....I strongly suggest that you get copies of your medical records from every doctor you have seen. They are a wealth of information and often include things the doctor just did not feel necessary to mention. I am going to make a post about this under "is this ALS?" as my husband is still awaiting diagnosed and we rcvd this week additional records that we requested and learned a few things.

Just],
Thanks for the advice; I'll be sure to get copies and see what they say. I saw my GP with my initial complaints of weakness. He checked my strength and reflexes, saw how weak my arms and legs were and how brisk reflexes were and referred me to my first neuro who referred me neuro #2 for "a second opinion". Neuro #2 is with a teaching hospital and specializes in NMD. I'd really like to know whats been ruled out and what is still being considered. Whatever this is hasn't remitted. I have trouble swallowing only saliva and this only when my voice goes out (somedays it goes out faster than others). My hands, fingers, feet and toes still have plenty of strength. Fasciculations are almost always there with sharp twitches in upper arms only on occassion. No sensory troubles or memory problems. I use a cane on occassion (at church when there are long periods of standing). All of this and more but because there hasn't been a diagnosis, there hasn't been anything offered to help relieve symptoms but this is supposed to be addressed next visit in 2-3 months.
Again, thanks for the tip of getting copies of medical records. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back