Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
DK
City
Aarhus
Hello

41 year old man and Iam a "little" worried.

It started for like 4-5 weeks ago when I got out of bed I felt some kind of weakness in my left foot, it felt off. But the weakness only appears when I walk, i feel my gait its off and my left leg suddenly became longer overnight. Maybe my head is playing trick with me, cause Iam hyper focused on that leg when I walk.

2 weeks ago fasciculation startede its non-stop in my feets, I cant see it, but I for sure can feel something. I have always had some fasciculation almost all over my body, but the feet is new, also its non stop. Also my calves have starting to be sore just a little, no cramps.

So I went to see the Doctor and she forwarded me to a neurologist, after bloodwork and some tests.

I do hope all this is anxeity related, but have no real history of anxiety.

I will ofcourse update after my Neurologist visit, if anyone have some advice for the visit there please feel free to reply.

Thank you to all who have taken their time to read this.

For sure, let us know what the neurologist says.
Advice - do not use google. Follow all medical advice from your doctor.

Reactions: MJT
*Update*

Iam writing this cause iam concerned, and to simply just to put my mind at ease so I might can sleep.

My gait has gotten much worse(slower) over 2 days, I was very surprised by so fast progression so I called the E.R and went down for a checkup with the Doctor. I had brisk leg reflexes but it was the same in each legs and the arms were normal. She said there was no need to see Neurologist the same day, cause i could still walk and she could not find any weakness, I only did the toe and heel thing. Have also noticed I have massive shortness of breath, I thought it was a side effect from some medicine (isotretonoin against acne) but it seems unlikely, at this time.
1. My gait is slow and getting worse
2. Muscles twithces in legs
3. Shortness of breath after very little physical activities

I my mind this is some sort limb/respiratory onset I really pray for something else but Iam in the rabbit hole and i have already mentally checked out, I can not see this is anything else.

Thank you to all who is reading this.

Is it possible that you are breathing heavily because you are worried? When you find something else to occupy your mind, do you sometimes forget your breathing? Same question for the walking.

ALS is either respiratory or limb onset -- not both. That may sound like semantics but it has the meaning that I have never heard of limb and respiratory symptoms both presenting as rapidly as you have described.

What did the doctor who referred you to the neurologist see, that led to her referral?

Best,
Laurie

To be honest, this sounds more like anxiety than anything else.
The more you focus on all your fears, the worse your breathing and walking will become and you will convince yourself further.

Not long now til you see the the neurologist, and I hope this will completely settle your fears for good.

Thank you, for the answers It even got me to sub for one year:)

I dont have trouble breathing, but I got the feeling that I just have smoked 20 cigarattes, and after very little physical activites(maybe like 5 squats) iam totally drained and sweaty. After I felt weakness in my left foot, it have just gone from worse to bad, but I havnt forgot its there and just walked! Iam thinking about it all the time when i walk. the first 2 weeks after i noticed the "weak" foot I could walk normal but it tired out so fast, i dont know if anxiety can do that.

I think the brisk reflexes and my gait made the doctor refer me.

Iam happy to hear that my progressions dosnt add up. The shortness of breath and weak foot started around the same time and I sure do hope all this is anxiety. But it feels so real, and the last time my reflexes got tested there was no problem at all.

Reflexes -- brisk, slow, normal, can wax and wane, and can be interpreted differently. So not something hard and fast to worry about.

Gait -- yes, anxiety can cause fatigue both by tricking you into thinking there's a problem and because anxiety itself uses a lot of energy.

Possibly you have a foot problem -- like a neuropathy and/or injury -- see a podiatrist? If it's hard to move your foot, walking could certainly be more of an effort, manifesting in breathlessness when you try to walk normally, and that could build up over time.

any number of things could physically be going on, and that is why you are going to a neurologist.
but ALS, seriously this is not how it happens.
with anything, add the kind of anxiety I am reading in your words on top, and you get all kinds of stuff that totally clouds your view of what is going on.
if you are stressed and anxious, guess what, your reflexes can change.
the point is, you are not a doctor, so getting worked up over this is not helping. your doctor has tried to do the normal thing and refer you to a neurologist to check things further.
step back, focus on nutrition and health and mindfulness (not focusing on symptoms) and you will soon be at that appointment and in better shape than if you spend your time here, googling and falling into deep holes.

please, stop for now, come back after that appointment and let us know how it went. that is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back