Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
ca
State
ontario
City
London
hi everyone! I've been reading on here for months after my husbands diagnosed in June. Here's the thing... Second opinion doctors did the usual. Emg, blood, MRI. A spinal tap showed slightly elevated levels of both protien (561) and cell count (4 in one vile, 7 in another). We just got the results from the MRI and it shows a bright spot in the c spine, inflammation. I'm praying that there is no other ALS patient who have had these outcomes. But I need to know if anyone has? Is this really good news? Hey Wright? Al? You both seem to have a good handle on this medical stuff!

I really can't comment because I don't know anything about your husband's symptoms, his progression, his other test results etc.

If you can give us any of that, then maybe we can help you.

Ok. It started sept 07. He woke up on morning in a pool of sweat. His arm right arm felt numb. He decribes it as a feeling of not pins n needles, but b4 it gets to that, it was pure weakness. A few days later the flu. Stiff neck for a week. Then a month later a muscle twitch started in the right bicep/tricep area. Routine check with the GP including blood work showed normal. Went to a physiotherapist they see upper and lower neuron signs MRI head ordered. Normal. Sent to neurologist. More blood another MRI of head and spine ordered. Normal. Emg results should abnormal. June 6 diagnosed ALS. Sept 08 second opinion. Spinal tab showed elevated levels of protien and cells. MRI showed inflammation of the c-spine ( a bright spot). Blood work normal. Emg results showed no neuron damage anywhere but both arms. Neuro thought this was not typical, and that there should have been sometimg in the legs at this point.
Right thumb, and middle fingers are no longer functioning. Right arms hangs, not fuctioning hardley at all. Left arm is weak, he cannot lift it much above his waist. Spasticity is quite bad. Baclofen doesn't make it stop.
He's been on antibiotics for three weeks. We started that on the notion, Leave no stone unturned. In December 07 he noticed his vision was not right, in 6 mths he couldn't read a book without straining. After three weeks on antibiotics, his vision has cleared quite some.... He can read the pill bottle without straining.
He's 40 years old with no previous health issues, not even so much as getting the flu in the last 8 years.
I want to also say that this forum is wonderful, and all of you have made it easier for me as we have been going through this horrific ordeal. Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back