Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hello, I truly feel awful for everyome with this disease, and appreciate everones time.

I am a 38 year old male. No health issues. About six months ago I suddenly lost grip strength in both hands, and felt forearm tightness (unable to open baby bottles, and needed to use two hands to pump gas) thought it was related computer work and holding the kids saw an Orthopedic provider who did an EMG. The EMG summary said, There is evidence of slowing of the left median motor nerve and bilateral ulnar motor nerves with normal sensory conductions. Did not want to diagnose just mentioned atypical.

Hand strength improved a bit until a couple weeks ago when I was using the computer a lot more. Now lifting items is harder (can still lift them but arms feel week, can open baby bottles and pump gas with one hand with effort). Still no pain and now no forearm tightness. Hands feel clumsy, dropping things at a higher rate.

Seeing a neurologist next week at the recomendation of the orthopedic doc. Looking for any thoughts. Thanks again!

Having had improvements is encouraging even if you are worse again. If there was nothing seen on the emg before ( you are reporting ncs changes) that is also good news. Who are you seeing for neurology

Thanks for your reply! Neurologist is with a small local hospital. After reading up a little more probably should have had an appointment with a larger Boston hospital.

No a local neuro is perfectly appropriate for an initial neuro eval. It could be something very simple. At this point ALS is very low of the list. I just asked from idle curiosity because I know or know of a lot of Boston neuros

Still have the forearm tightness and grip strength issue, but wanted to follow up on the 2nd EMG results (I will not be bothering you anymore) below looks like ALS would not be an issue. Reading through the stories on the site I still can not imagine the mental and physical toll of ALS.

Normal study. There is no electrodiagnostic evidence of a distal median neuropathy at either wrist to suggest carpal tunnel syndrome. Additionally, there is no evidence of an ulnar neuropathy, radial neuropathy, large fiber sensorimotor polyneuropathy, brachial plexopathy, or cervical radiculopathy affecting either arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back