Learn about ALS
Country
ESP
State
Barcelona
City
Barcelona
Hello,

I've been having a lot of symptoms and I'm not sure what to make of them. I will admit that I've also been having a lot of anxiety in recent weeks.

In February this year, while playing football/soccer, I had what I was sure was a subluxation of my right knee cap. It happened while I was about to kick a ball, in my kicking leg (the same thing happened to me about 10 years ago). Of course I could barely walk, I did an MRI that came out only with entesitis and condromalacia. Doctor said I was fine basically, but I kept Barely Walking for some time after, not in a lot of pain, just not very able to move my leg. I also started noticing twitches and fasciculations in and around the knee. A few weeks later, I experienced pain and trembling in my other leg, mostly in the knee, had an MRI of that knee as well - it came out the same as my right one.

I started physical therapy for both knees and I've been doing it since. While my left leg was okay soon enough, I was still unable to walk decently with my right one until recently. At this moment, I have my mobility back but the leg feels quite unstable. It's been a few weeks since going up and down stairs feels okay, but walking still scares me. Doctor says, keep trying to build up the quads.

This above is my biggest "mechanical" inconvenient at this point and would probably not be enough to worry me a lot, but meanwhile I have also experienced the following:
- unexplained pain my neck, a few times in my chest
- twitches that I stopped noticing for a while, but more recently happen basically all over my body; lately, twitches have been keeping me from sleep
- fasciculations
- cracking sounds in my joints, sometimes painful, sometimes at simple movements
- a clicking sound in my throat when I swallow if I have my neck at certain angles, it has been bothering me when eating as well
- more recently noticed, my right shoulder is weaker than the left one, it hurts right now
- walking instability that sometimes feels "amplified" and completed by dizziness (feeling of walking on a trampoline, especially with my right leg)
- pulse has been feeling too strong most of the time in recent weeks

I did a skull MRI for my walking dizziness today and will have the results on Monday, also will be going to ORL for the throat thing. Basic blood tests are fine. GP recommended me some herbs for anxiety.

I get that some of these aren't usually associated with ALS, but would appreciate some opinions. A lot of it might be anxiety and I can accept that. Should I see a neurologist regardless of my MRI results?

Thank you for your time.

It always worries me when DIHALS posters throw out a pile of clinical terms: entesitis and condromalacia. I have no idea what these are.

Your symptoms seem to come and go. ALS doesn't do this.

You also describe a bunch of "feelings". This is not ALS. Als is a disease of the motor neurons not sensory ones.

Dizziness has nothing to do with ALS.

Please read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

Good news! Nothing you describe sounds like ALS.

Honestly, it sounds like a lot of overuse symptoms. I have chondromalacia, a.k.a. runners knee and it's deterioration of the knee cap cartilidge. Have you seen an orthopedist? If it was me, I would start there as well as treat the anxiety symptoms while you pursue finding out what is really going on. Dizziness can be related to inner ear issues/allergies. Again, nothing sounding like ALS.

GregK, sorry to have upset you. I had read the sticky. My worry comes mostly from the twitches + the fact that my leg recovery has been very slow. I am also not sure if the throat thing can be associated with muscle atrophy, but I guess I will find out soon.

I know about condromalacia, this is what the traumatologist (what they call the orthopedist in Spain) has sent me to physio for. :)

Thank you very much for replying.

Who's upset? The sticky title is in all caps, for that's the issue.

Twitches mean nothing: everyone twitches, some more than others.

entesitis isn't even a medical term he spelled it incorrectly :lol:

You are good to go lad, you don't even know what would upset people with a terminal illness, but you are not one unless you keep arguing back with us now.

You do NOT have symptoms of ALS, no matter how much research you do and how many medical terms you grab for - you can celebrate and work on healing your knee which would typically take months to heal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back