Not open for further replies.

Macerick187

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
First and foremost I want to thank you guys for taking the time to respond. I read the think before posting. It started a few months ago, I was at a concert and almost collapsed with what felt like heatstroke. Felt pins and needles (I know it isn’t a symptom of ALS) for a few days afterwards that lingered. Saw my PCP and got a neurologist referral, he gave me an MRI referral that hasn’t came yet.

What really is bothering me is I’ve had these twitches, at random, all over my body, buttocks, triceps, shoulders, feet, calves, hands (thumb, i’ve had my index finger move on its own from a twitch) hamstrings, biceps etc. all in about 1 month in a half. These twitches can happen while I drive, sit, or lay down. They last maybe 2-3 seconds then disappear and another part will twitch. After I lift and while I lift weights the twitches come and it messes me up.

I saw another neurologist regarding the twitches and she tested my reflexes and said my legs were a bit jumpy (when she did underneath the knee) but she said it was fine because they were both symmetrical. I passed the clinical exam (walk on heels, toes) etc. She gave me an EMG referral to put me at ease then a blood work to check vitamin levels, and another MRI (the other neurologist wouldn’t send it in because of insurance)

My question is, if the twitching was ALS related would it have spread to my whole body that fast (within 2mos) and if it was ALS related, if I had twitching all over I would most likely have some type of clinical weakness? Again, I really do apologize if it is redundant but waiting for an EMG and MRI can be nerve wracking, especially when my body doesn’t feel normal (weird feelings in calves and hands) and all this twitching. Even my funny bone twitched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Widespread twitching only points away from, not toward ALS, as does the pattern you describe. Diet, sleep, and how you lift (do you stretch out enough before and after, for example) are areas to look at for reducing the twitches. You might even be shedding a virus. Blood work doesn't show all the nutritional imbalances/dehydration that can crop up.

The good news -- none of this has anything to do with ALS.

Best,
Laurie

I think I read through your post but it was a big jumble of text so was hard to read.
The read before posting post asks for text to be formatted and it explains that twitching means nothing, truly nothing.
Please return to your doctor and explain how anxious you are and get help looking after yourself until November.
Don't keep searching online as you are feeding your fears.
Do come back and let us know when you have your EMG.
You don't have a single ALS symptom and I can see that you know your issue is the anxiety you feel. Your doctor can help with that if you will be honest with them.

Oh a moderator broke the post into 2 paragraphs which has helped a little in readability.

Thank you guys for the insight. I will reply once the EMG results come in!

Best,

My brain MRI came back clear and so did my EMG, they found a very very mild delay which wouldn’t suggest even carpal tunnel. I still twitch and have an elbow twitch that has been nonstop for 4 weeks; however, I now know it is nothing major as EMGs cannot be taken too early. Thank you all for the insight! The blood work was also normal (thyroid and B12). They only found my Vitamin D was low.

Attachments

• 254045D2-B974-41AC-B6B3-F5F9DF8BEF38.jpeg
    254045D2-B974-41AC-B6B3-F5F9DF8BEF38.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
Great news! Thanks for sharing. Low vitamin d has been the culprit for quite a few posters here. Be aware that it takes time to feel better even after your levels are normal. Enjoy the holidays!

Sorry to bother, I do not want to be one of those people that pester and go back to old posts. My symptoms have not gotten better and I’ve noticed other things so I will see my PCP, my only question is about the “left median motor nerve showing prolonged distal latency” which was 4.4 > 4.2. My neurologist which was a practictioner didn’t go into detail just said it was minor and the neurologist performing the EMG barely said anything. I googled and majority showed nerve entrapment or carpal tunnel; however, an article said this was somehow related to ALS. Do they only look at ALS regarding the distal onset latency when the EMG is dirty and detects various of other things? Again, I will not revisit this post and have other measures to go through. Just wanted a quick question. Thank you again and sorry if I’m annoying.

Please stop googling as though you can somehow find something your doctors don't know.
You are not displaying symptoms of ALS, we will only be going around in circles if we start with you on this again.
ALS has a distinct pattern on EMG - you don't have that.

Go talk to your doctor, have another physical examination and ask for help with what to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back