Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Astoria
I've been around the boards for the last 6 months or so... worried again that I have ALS. It started with me with numbness/tingling in my left hand and left foot/leg. I went to the neuro back in march and had an emg, mri, etc - all seemed fine. I felt a little better for awhile but I've convinced myself now that I have ALS again. My symptoms included: facics in my left hand on the side under the pinkie, and facics in my left calve and side of my left foot. If i clench my fist or flex my leg they seem to occur right after. Also i have twitching on my face by my nose, if i scrunch my face it triggers the twich which kind of cascades almost up to my eye sometimes. I have a neurologist appointment scheduled for thursday, just looking for a little insight until then. I'm 26, by the way. I guess my question is.

1) I know anything is possible, but is it likely that i could have had a clean emg with no facics and now fail this upcoming emg?

2) The thing that scares me the most is that my neurologist mentioned that i had brisk leg reflexes last time. She then did the emg and it was ok. Does that mean that the brisk reflexes are nothing to worry about?

3) When i go in for this emg, is there anything i should ask/do to ensure that I am confident in the response. Do I need to instruct them where i have the facics and where to do the emg?

Thanks for your advice and help. best wishes to all of you

you should be ok

your 26. end of discussion basically. 80 percent are between 40 and 70. I had three docs tell me that a clean emg after 30 days is legit. I however still have alot going on with my body. but as long as there is no weakness and atrophy you should be ok. Als usually hits a limb and really hits it hard before it moves elswhere. also body wide twitches usually are an indicator of bfs this early. good luck.

Look, i have had wrist and foot drop/muscle wasting/facics/one abnormal EMG two normal/every blood test and MRI possible! I even developed brisk reflexes in all four extremeties and i have NOT been diagnosed with ALS..... You should not even have it in your vocabulary yet! Seriously, if you look up ALL the other possible diagnosis's other than ALS, i have gone through everyone... By your posts, you are just starting out? I am 29 soon to be thirty and at my age no neurologist is going to take the plunge and say i have an incurable disease until i literally cannot use an appendage! Plus i have developed a symptom called myotonia and that is not apart of ALS! That did not start until almost a year ago! So that goes to show how things can change or show up after a long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back