Not open for further replies.

laboravellc

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I’m 26 years old and 3.5 years ago I first started twitching in the buttocks around August 2018. Initially I had no other symptoms besides twitching which eventually spread throughout my body. I went to a neuro that same month which ordered a brain MRI to check for MS. No lesions found in the brain or clinical weakness but never got spine MRI or EMG.

The body twitching has been consistent throughout these 3.5 years but no clinical weakness. Recently, I’ve noticed my left calf is more defined than my right when I flex it. I can still walk, run, exercise, etc. Also my left arm feels numb and weak at times. It looks and feels less defined than my right. I can still lift weights with it and have not noticed any clinical weakness.

Some days my left arm will feel numb, weak, dead and other days it feels normal. Some days my right arm will feel this way and not my left. The twitching is all over my body but mostly in arms and legs. I also notice my joints have been popping more in my left arm and throughout my body.

Also recently I’ve noticed I have to double swallow my water. I had a sore throat and when blowing my nose or yawning as well as discomfort on right side of throat which I no longer have.

I have yet to do an EMG but will schedule one soon. Does this sound like ALS? Also would my symptoms have progressed within this 3.5 years of twitching? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
It doesn't really sound like any ALS presentation I've seen. I hope your GP checked Vitamin B-12 and D3 as well as routine blood tests. For now, get plenty of water, lots of rest, and continue to exercise as a way to reduce stress. Sounds more like benign fasciculation syndrome to me. Yes, symptoms would have progressed by now if it were ALS.

Kim you are a blessing to the world. Thank you

Honestly, twitching means nothing. You could go back to your PCP and have a good talk about overall health and exercise, even sleeping habits. ALS isn't in this picture at all. If it were, your neurologist would have taken testing much further.
I am sure you can work through this with your doctors.

Hey, sorry to bother you again but recently I’ve had more symptoms and hoping this is not bulbar onset. My twitching first started in August 2018 which started in my buttocks area and mainly in legs and arms sometimes even the head, back, tongue, etc. As of recently I’ve noticed my voice sounds hoarse and deeper. I’m clearing my throat a lot and on top of that the twitching is mainly in my calves and arms. My tongue has not been twitching it rarely ever twitches but the twitches are still everyday in my arms and legs. No clinical weakness I can think of. I can still do calf raises, raise my hands above my head, and my speech is not slurred just deeper and more hoarse. Does this align with bulbar?

Hi there-

If you have concerns, your first stop should be your doctor. They can actually see what you are talking about and provide you feedback based on an examination. The people here have provided you feedback already, so it's important to follow up with your doctor before returning to add more symptoms. Your twitching has been going on for over 3.5 years- ALS, particularly bulbar, would be very obvious by now.

Please speak with your doctor. Take care.

You must ONLY take any new concerns to your doctor. We can do nothing further.
All the best, honestly you can beat this if you work with a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back