Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MN
City
Saint Paul
I've dealt with some twitching in the arms and legs and other places for awhile. Never really thought much of it until now. That with my muscle stiffness and restless legs have me very paranoid. What really makes me more paranoid is the mental issues. I've noticed I've been more irritable and mad about the most trivial things.

I've also had mental fog for a few years, been put on antidepressants, but also my decision-making. I make poor decisions even when I know I shouldn't, I find a way to rationalize it in my mind. I do usually feel some kind of way about it afterwards, so I'm aware of it, I just impulsively or selfishly do it.

Also fatigue and some head pressure sometimes. I also deal with sinus problems (nose and sinuses always stuffed or something. I'm going to a ENT about this) and I also have Pectus Excavatum which is a chest deformity. Sometimes my walking is off too and my balance. My legs and arms also have moments of shaking and feeling weak. My legs shake too subconsciously but that could be from anxiety, I'm not sure.

Now saying all of this, I'm really not an active person. I've been really unmotivated and lacking energy, a lot of days I lay in bed. I don't really eat the best either nor do I really exercise. I've been gaining a lil weight. It just seems like I put things off all the time or just don't feel energized or motivated to do anything. I'm a 25 year old male and shouldn't be like this smh. I also deal with depress and anxiety.

Maybe my muscle stiffness and cramps are from my inactivity. Same with the weakness maybe. I don't know. My blood work came out fine a few months ago.

I just recently looked into what ALS is and now I'm extremely terrified. I don't know how to explain the twitches I get. Or my mental things. Or really anything because it just feels like trying to rationalize. I've sent my primary care doctor a message and will be making an appointment appointment see him soon to discuss this but man I am so damn scared and paranoid. I have a son and family I want to be here for.. this is crushing knowing this is a possibility. My twitching gets worse sometimes too when I'm anxious and think about health related issues because I do deal with hypochondria too but I know my fear is legitimate with this one.

Hi there-

Please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting for more information. From what you have posted, it's not clear if you have read it yet, as you would have been reassured. It does sound like you've got something complicated going on, but it's not something that would make the folk here think there's any sort of concern about ALS. You might think it's a possibility, but that might be due to a lack of understanding of how ALS affects people. The link provided will help you understand more.

Please speak with your doctor. This would be a first step to finding out what is wrong, but I think you can leave ALS behind.

You say you know your fear of ALS is legitimate. I know it's not.

Please find better treatment for your anxiety, poor decision making, lack of energy and depressed mood. If you need to find different therapists or resources, it is worth it. Each of the issues reinforces the others and the combination has powerful effects on your body, as you have found. The result is a life that is far less healthy and satisfying than you deserve.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I appreciate it and I'm sorry for the late response. I'll try to get help for those. But now my legs are starting to get like vibrations, and I heard that could be linked to neurological damage and things like ALS. What about the leg weakness too? I don't know, maybe I am overthinking it to be ALS. I've been putting off my doctor appointments smh I really need to go next week and talk to them. I won't put it off this time. I'm also having cramps sometimes in the legs, especially after walking not even a long time. Also sometimes in the palm or foot, I heard these could be symptoms too smh. Man my anxiety is alot

Yes, you do need to speak with your doctor! Not because you sound like you're reporting anything similar to how ALS starts but because you'd get more reassurance from a doctor who can examine you and who has your medical history at hand and has actual medical training. You are speculating based on your fears and feelings and an incomplete understanding of a complex neurological condition which only serves to increase your anxiety.

Please only post once you've seen a doctor. Til then there is no point in posting here.

Thanks for the response. It's helping my anxiety with some things but something that really got to me was the hyper reflexes. I used my lighter to tap the bone on my knee and both of my legs went up pretty high. I think I have that and then Googling it (which I know I shouldn't) said that point to upper neuron damage.

Also I've been having vibrations in my legs all through the day. I also have muscle cramps in the calves when walking not even a long distance outside. Also some cramps in my palms, feet, jaw, sometimes my neck. These aren't persistent but they do happen, along with those calf cramps when walking a decent amount.

Also my hands and feet feel cold sometimes when I'm not even cold. Right now my hands are feeling kinda cold, sometimes my fingers or legs feel stiff too. The other day my foot was tingling and feeling cold.

And I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to argue your statement and I'm really not trying to be rude or annoy you or anyone here. Just want to get some input on these few things considering these symptoms kinda play into each other. I'll quit bothering you though

Yep, you're continuing to list things that you need to bring to your doctor. Closing your thread for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back