Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Roxburghshire
City
Kelso
I said I wouldn't post here but alas I am, my anxiety over this has got the better of me. I am a 24 year old medical student (not started my nervous system studies yet - so I have not been overly exposed to people with neurological disorders) who is getting married in June and moving across city, and with all these pressures I can't cope with the torment of the idea of having ALS and I was wondering if anyone could help/ advise who has experience.

For the past 3 weeks I have had non stop (literally non stop unless I stretch the muscle) fasciculations. 90% concentrated in my calf muscles, with the occasional flickers in the gluts, quads and mouth. I haven't had any clinical weakness, only perceived - thinking my left foot is difficult to dorsiflex while walking - I suspect I am just super conscious of it though.
I was wondering if anyone had similar findings before diagnosis or could advise further on this?

Sorry for posting this, just I am really freaking out and so worried this is going to affect everything just as life is about to start.

Thanks.

there's a sticky post at the top of this section that says READ BEFORE POSTING

as a med student it should show you why you don't have ALS :)

My neuro has non-stop fasciculations in both calves and one thigh. He has slight atrophy in calves. He's not the least concerned that he has ALS. He even showed me his "twitches."

Good one, Kim.

As a med student you should be ashamed of jumping from fasciculations to ALS. Your research skills need some work. 8^|

You're right Greg it is a tall order jumping from twitches to something as serious as ALS. It is just hard to gauge exactly what is a normal frequency of fasciculations and what is abnormal. To be honest thinking logically I can see this isn't MND but the problem is I am genuinely anxious about this - and I don't know what to do to settle it.

the problem is I am genuinely anxious about this - and I don't know what to do to settle it.

You go see a doctor, discuss in depth your anxiety and you will find it is a very treatable condition :)

You're right Greg it is a tall order jumping from twitches to something as serious as ALS. It is just hard to gauge exactly what is a normal frequency of fasciculations and what is abnormal. To be honest thinking logically I can see this isn't MND but the problem is I am genuinely anxious about this - and I don't know what to do to settle it.

When you study a subject intensely, your mind focuses on that subject. After a career in accounting, I was working on a doctorate in holistic health & nutrition. I noticed things about my body I had never seen before. If I had let myself get worked up about them I could have come up with a dozen "illnesses."

Darlo, I understand anxiety and I have experienced very high anxiety and even panic attacks. Don't let this continue or it could ruin your career. See your GP and get some help for your anxiety. Don't let it snowball into a brain chemical imbalance.

Darlo, you wrote: " I can see this isn't MND."

Time to leave us to attend to people who do have ALS. Good luck with your search for the answers.

Darlo, I understand anxiety and I have experienced very high anxiety and even panic attacks. Don't let this continue or it could ruin your career. See your GP and get some help for your anxiety. Don't let it snowball into a brain chemical imbalance.

Thanks Kim, I appreciate it. I know exactly how anxiety can hit. I spent time in care homes as a kid which caused me to develop anxiety problems, had to deal with it since then, but this fear here has really got to me. GP is aware, and has also referred me to neurology - I suspect probably more for my mindset than anything.

Anyway, thank you. and I like your caption by the way. His grace is enough.

Darlo, you wrote: " I can see this isn't MND."

Time to leave us to attend to people who do have ALS. Good luck with your search for the answers.

I can and I can't. Genuinely sorry being like this.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll find them in the end.

Very worried and scared

Hi I posted a few weeks back but new symptoms have developed. I am getting married in 2 weeks and this is ruining my build up to the wedding. If anyone could please advise I would be very grateful.

6 weeks ago I started getting constant fasciculations in the calf and quads muscles. within 3 weeks I went to see a neuro who said I do not have anything but BFS going on. He didn't even order an EMG which I am now kinda wishing he did.

I have noticed my thenar muscle on my left hand is a fair bit smaller than my right (I am right handed) nevertheless it is weaker and smaller, more than I should of thought. Today whilst at the gym I Noticed I have a very prominent dent running across (transversely) in my left bicep, and I then went on to notice how I can only do about half as many reps with my left bicep as my right. I am really really worried.

I still have fasciculations in my calf muscles and to a lesser extend my quads now.

Has anyone else had a similar onset to this?

Re: Very worried and scared

Darlo-

The people here can not help you with your health anxiety. Please seek proper medical help for your symptoms. If you are not happy with what the doctor told you, seek help with another one, but make sure to ALSO seek help for your anxiety. Posting your questions here does you absolutely no good and will not allay your worries, no matter how many times you hear twitches do not mean ALS- especially as you did not believe a trained medical doctor. Seeking confirmation you have a terminal disease from strangers on the internet will net you zero proper help.

Please seek medical help for your overwhelming anxiety- it sounds like it is preventing you from enjoying what is supposed to be the start of a new wedded life with your partner.

Best wishes and a very happy wedding day.

Mod note: merged threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back