11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Fort Worth
Tube feeding help....
My husband has an ongoing nausea issue, when doing feeding, if I bolus he tolerates about 500ml pushed in about 10 minutes but only twice a day. He stays nauseated all day. Taking 2 different meds for nausea already. Not enough nutrition. We've tried slower over night with pump and upon getting up he violently vomits.... Not good. We've tried many different formulas as well, currently using Liquid Hope. Tried gravity bag of same 500ml I've been bolusing, but half way thru he started getting nauseated again..... Slow seems to equal sick, but need more then 1400 calories/1000ml daily intake. He is almost 6 foot was almost 200lbs a year ago, now 115lbs. Any suggestions, willing to try anything!

So formulas aren't working well -- what about blenderizing real food? You could also control the calories better that way. A search here or elsewhere will net you a lot of ideas.

Best,
Laurie

Have you tried small amounts gravity fed frequently?

Say 150-200ml gravity fed over 15 -20 minutes every couple of hours?
Have they tested anything about how quickly his stomach is emptying?

I would certainly try some real food.
You could try making smoothies at first and supplementing half liquid hope, half smoothie and then kind of move outwards from there?

I'm sorry I forget how long has he had the peg? Had he lost a lot of weight before getting the peg?

I ask because it is so much harder to adjust well to peg feeds if the PALS was already eating/drinking very little and was losing a lot of weight.

My Chris never resolved nausea issues ...

I would try some soup blenderized and down the tube. One thing that can bother pals is if the food is too hot or too cold. Room temp is best for many. Steve could omly tolerate a feed if the liquid was heated for 15 seconds in the microwave.

If aspiration isnt a concern, you could do smoothies with a wide straw. If it is a concern, try a loose smoothie with ginger in it. It really settles the stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back