Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
Hello everyone,

My name is Juan Carlos, I'm currently terrified of ALS , it all started around 3 month ago I was feeling fine but I started to notice my left arm was weaker than my right arm at the gym. I didn't put much attention at first but then I started looking at the internet and at first thought it was MS because my grandmother has it. About 2 weeks after looking at symptoms, my body started to muscle twitch all over, legs arms back even hands. The neurologist ordered 2 MRI's all clean , did all blood test and my vitamin D was low 12 points and my B12 was low at 183. The neurologist also ordered an NERVE CONDUCTING test and an EMG. I'm going to post the result please help me to understand it.

I feel my arms now week and also legs. Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitamin deficiencies such as yours could certainly sinly account for your symptoms. If you post your emg please remove your name first and post both the tables and the summary/ conclusion, what your doctor told you and what is unclear to you

First of all, I want to thank in advance to all the amazing people who takes the time to answer the conserns and help understand.
My name is Juan Carlos, 23 years old it all began around 3 month ago when I started to notice my left arm a little weaker thank my right arms, i just ignored it at first I always been told that one arms it's a little weaker than the other, some days later I felt the left arm kind of odd feeling I started looking on the internet and got freaked out because I thought it was MS since my grandmother has it, 2 days later my muscle started to twitch all over , legs arms biceps even the face. Went to the neurologist and she ordered 2 MRIs , brain and spinal cord , both came back good , I felt such a relief she told me to forget about MS and prescribed GABAPENTIN . about 1 week after that I was still worried about the muscle twitching and started looking on the internet and found ALS, I got so scared and anxious I started crying I could barely eat or sleep, went to the primary doctor and did all the blood work, my vitamin D it's a low 12.32 and Vitamin B12 low at 183. The doctor send me the medicine but I was still super scared after that the muscle weakness spread to my right arm and both legs. Did an EMG and NCS and they were both abnormal i'm super scared I'm almost certain I have ALS :( THE NEUROLOGIST gave me an appointment the next month but I can't wait. Posting the result please help me interpret the results. Thanks in advance. I now have weakness on both arms and legs it hurts and become very tired with just little use can ALS progress this fast in just less than 3 month.

Attachments

• 20190523_122549.jpg
    20190523_122549.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 249
  • 20190523_122623.jpg
    20190523_122623.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 258
The nerve conduction study showed some issues that could be some pinched nerves. Nerve conduction studies are usually normal in ALS so already pointing away for ALS The EMg also showed maybe a pinched nerve in your neck but nothing that is at all suggestive of ALS. I assure you if the neurologist was remotely concerned about ALS you wouldn’t be waiting that long for an appointment

The nerve conduction study showed some issues that could be some pinched nerves. Nerve conduction studies are usually normal in ALS so already pointing away for ALS The EMg also showed maybe a pinched nerve in your neck but nothing that is at all suggestive of ALS. I assure you if the neurologist was remotely concerned about ALS you wouldn’t be waiting that long for an appointment
Thanks for responding in such a short time I really appreciate it, and it's true the technician said that the only thing he saw was a carpal tunnel and an elbow entrapment but it's been progressing super fast when I did the NCS and EMG I didn't have any weakness on right arm now I have it more than on my left arm, and the possibility of a pinched nerve on C6 and C7 are not ruled out by the clean spinal cord MRI ?

I have been paying attention to my hand and it's progressing too fast I have very little hope I'm almost certain that I have ALS now I have hand atrophy :'(

Exactly, you've been paying too much attention to your hand. You don't have ALS and ALS does not come on as quickly as you are describing. Have you thought of a psychologist to help you find out why you are determined to be diagnosed with this disease? Since nothing that you have described is ALS, and you are determined to say you have it, honestly, I would seek out why you won't believe that you don't have this disease.

As well, you are basically stating you know more about this disease than your neurologist and the folks on here by insisting that you are certain you have ALS. My advice, go and live the life that you are so blessed to have, stop focusing on a disease you do not have, and if you cannot do that, seek help as to why you are unable to let this go.

Best of luck to you and take good care.

Exactly, you've been paying too much attention to your hand. You don't have ALS and ALS does not come on as quickly as you are describing. Have you thought of a psychologist to help you find out why you are determined to be diagnosed with this disease? Since nothing that you have described is ALS, and you are determined to say you have it, honestly, I would seek out why you won't believe that you don't have this disease.

As well, you are basically stating you know more about this disease than your neurologist and the folks on here by insisting that you are certain you have ALS. My advice, go and live the life that you are so blessed to have, stop focusing on a disease you do not have, and if you cannot do that, seek help as to why you are unable to let this go.

Best of luck to you and take good care.
Thanks for taking the time to read and giving me a response. I know I'm insisting and trying to kind of convince myself I have this, and I appreciate everybody here. But this is so hard I have never being sick in my life and ALS terrified me , so many symptoms match what other people experience and a dirty EMG it's concerning. My heart goes out to the people who has this desease and all their love one. I'M going to the neurologist on June 3rd let's wait and hope it's not ALS , will keep it updated

Thank you su much for this post and taking the time to write it, you don't know how many people you can help, and i'm so glad you left ALS worries behind you, the information was very helpful, I'm currently going through a hard time in medical limbo trying to figure out what's happening to me, all my symtoms point to ALS but just like you the chances of getting this rare desease at 23 are very unlikely but there is always the possibility. Just like you I have an appointment just 10 days away but the wait and anxiety is killing me, even more with a dirty EMG . Hopefully it's something else :(

Since you’re planning on seeing a neurologist June 3, I’d like to suggest that you refrain from further posting until after that appointment. You’re asking people with ALS and their caregivers to hand-hold your anxiety until then, and that’s not fair to us. Meanwhile, hanging out on this forum is only fueling your anxiety more.

Good morning
And thanks for the responses I know my health anxiety can make this worst but I just wanted to post a little update, I went to the neurologist yesterday she took a look at my blood work and saw my vit B12 and vit D deficiency and also an elevated liver enzyme she said that my symtoms could be cause by this. But ALS cannot be rules out. She told me let's just wait and see. I have been taking B12 shots for 3weeks now and it doesn't get better I feel weaker every day, she did strength test and reflexes and according to her everything it's normal. She didn't say much about the twiching and prescribed higher dose of gabapentin.

You have not been diagnosed with ALS, so can you please remove the diagnosed date from your profile? I am surprised that your neurologist has said ALS cannot be ruled out since you have no ALS symptoms and a clean clinical exam. My only guess is that you are so worked up over a disease you do not have that she is just covering her butt, but what I also believe is that you may have misinterpreted what she said. In any case, you have now had more than two exams, plus no symptoms, that speak to you not having this disease. Please stop fixating on this disease. When I was your age I was traveling, doing charitable work and taking courses. Perhaps you can pick a more positive thing to focus on and see how you feel then. With your mind elsewhere, you would be surprised how good you start to feel.

Thanks for the responses I truly appreciate it, and will definitely will make a donation to all people going through this desease , my journey it's not over yet since I'm not cleared from ALS and my symtoms continue to get worst now I have tounge fasciculation and both arms and legs weakness also my throat feels like a have something struck , but I will try to stay away from this forum and will no longer post until I I'm 100% sure thanks to everyone for the support they give. I tried to change the diagnosis date to 00/0000 but couldn't find a way.

I did it for you. But all you had to do was go to your profile and click on account details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back